Join us as an User Experience Design Lead, Disruptive Innovation.
Similar Industry Titles and Key Words: Design Lead, Design Manager, UX Lead, UX Leader
About This Opportunity
Join the Target.com and Mobile team, where your goal is to make the multi-channel shopping experience as simple, secure and enjoyable as a visit to your local Target store. You’ll develop strategies that drive sales and innovation while creating a fast, fun experience that inspires guest loyalty.
The User Experience Design Lead, Disruptive Innovation is responsible for leading all aspects of experience design for an identified strategic opportunity. The candidate will bring their unique experience design background to bear in the development of solutions for testing with consumers, and iterate to gain learnings and drive toward full-scale commercialization. The candidate will have the rare opportunity to work at the leading edge of retail and consumer products and services in a high-profile position with widespread organizational impact.
The candidate must effectively analyze guest needs, corporate strategies, enterprise capabilities, and market opportunities to generate high-potential concepts that extend beyond today’s core business. The candidate will be empowered to work entrepreneurially, challenge current thinking and practices, and create consumer and business value in ways unlikely to emerge from the existing enterprise as part of a lean, multi-disciplinary team.
The position necessitates an ability to connect disparate information and trends to form new opportunities and possibilities. The candidate will bring their own background in experience design along with their understanding of the market and possible partners to bear in the pursuit of innovative solutions to meet consumers’ wants and needs today and into the future.
Principal duties and responsibilities
- Develops transformational solutions that fulfill consumers’ needs and wants and expand Target’s business footprint
- Uses design thinking, human factors research, ethnography and other techniques to deeply explore guest needs and potential solutions
- Develops prototypes, pilots, and other tests to evaluate consumer value propositions and solutions
- Iterates aggressively to arrive at solutions that exceed consumer expectations and create points of differentiation for Target
- Raise collective innovation capability through coaching, advising, supporting others. Evangelizes innovation inside and outside Target
- Leverage natural inquisitiveness to explore new opportunity areas and imagine a possible future for opportunities.
- Be flexible and resourceful, willing to enthusiastically flex work and tasks to what is needed to move work forward regardless of formal expertise or background
- Enthusiastically champion the work of the team even when pivoting as needed
- Accepting of failure while ensuring that impact of learnings are well institutionalized
- Defines design requirements and executes
- Acts as team subject matter expert on experience design activities through personal experience, research abilities, and personal network internal and external to Target
- Bring design aesthetic to bear in creating the best user experience throughout each project
- Drive design research initiatives and team consensus building around personas, pain points, and design implications
- Deliver stories, personas, and use-case scenarios that advocate for consumer needs and inform design decisions
- Deliver models, information architecture, flows, wireframes, lo-fi prototypes, and other design deliverables
- Develop, maintain design mockups as well as specifications
· Bachelors Degree required; advanced degree in Design, User Experience, Cognitive Psychology or related field preferred or equivalent experience
· Minimum 5 years of diverse background in experience design including experience designing in multiple channels or mediums. Strong consideration for experience in developing new to the market products or services
· Deep expertise in either digital or physical design with a good understanding of all aspects of experience design and ability to translate concepts to any medium or channel
· Demonstrated experience translating consumer insights into design
· Proven ability to think strategically about guest needs, market dynamics, and business impact.
· Understanding of the retail industry and how it is changing, inclusive of traditional brick and mortar, digital and emerging channels.
· Demonstrated entrepreneurial passion; ability to explore business opportunities in a structured yet iterative way; experience with “lean startup”, agile, product model or similar development approaches preferred
· Demonstrated creative problem-solving skills and ability to see possible paths forward that are not readily apparent to others
· Strong sense of urgency and ability to test fast, learn fast, fail fast
· Ability to prototype, wireframe and map work in Adobe Creative Suite, HTML or other tools
· Proven record and passion for designing compelling user experiences