Hello Challenge Applicants,
Finalists have been determined. Due to a system error, some applicants may not have received this announcement. Please reach out to HBCUDesignChallenge@target.com if you have not received this message.
The submission period for Target’s 2023 HBCU Design Challenge has now closed.
The 2023 HBCU Design Challenge is returning for its fourth year.
For the 2023 Design Project, you are asked to create a placed graphic/illustration or allover print design that speaks to our theme of Remixed Traditions.
Black history is American history, and Black style is continuously influenced by the past. With Remixed Traditions we will remember the past and modernize it for today.
Your artwork should speak not only to Black tradition, but also bring joy and inspiration for positive progress within Black communities for the future.
We are excited to have you participate in an apparel & accessories assortment that has Black Creators at its center.
African-Americans and members of the African diaspora have made and continue to make historical contributions that have helped us all. Your design should be a reflection on Black history, the diversity of ways that Black people showcase their excellence from popular culture to STEM, to presence and participation in subculture movements and trends that subvert stereotypes and defy expectations.
Review the above direction and use it as guidance to create your design submission.
- Designs should align with Target's purpose of bringing joy to all families.
- Designs should be inclusive, for adults and/or children.
- Designs must be original and not infringe on existing copyrights or intellectual property ownership or be in use of for sale elsewhere.
- Artwork must be designed to be printable on a standard t-shirt knit top.
- Please limit number of colors in your design to 12 colors or less.
- Files should be high resolution (150dpi+) and to scale. Low resolution submissions may need to be resubmitted if the applicant reaches the finalist phase of the competition.
- Acceptable formats include: jpg, tiff, .pdf, .ai, .psd, or .png.
How do I submit my design?
Submit your entry via the online submission form. Entries can be submitted beginning January 16th 2023 until 11:59 PM CST on February 13th, 2023. By submitting your entry, you’re confirming that you have read and agree to the contest RULES.
Who is eligible?
The HBCU Design Challenge Contest (“Contest”) is open to residents of the 50 States and the District of Columbia, 18 or older at the time of entry, who are currently enrolled in a Historically Black College or University (‘HBCU”). Employees of Target, its affiliates, subsidiaries and their immediate families are not eligible to participate in the Contest. Void where prohibited by law.
Rules & FAQs Available: Jan. 3, 2023
Submissions Open: Jan. 16, 2023
Submissions Deadline: Feb. 13, 2023
Finalists Announced: Feb. 24, 2023
Winners Announced: Mar. 31, 2023
There are a total of six (6) Contest Prize winners.
First Place Prize Winners (3) - Total Value $6000-$8000:
- $4000 Cash prize
- $2000 minimum compensation for associated marketing campaign participation (“Marketing Prize”).
- Approximately $2000. Winners will be eligible to apply for a six week paid virtual apprenticeship with the Target Owned Brands Product Design team. A maximum of one (1) winner may be invited to participate in the apprenticeship.
- Exclusive 1-hour consultation with Target senior design leaders.
- Possibility of having their winning design included in the Target Black History Month product assortment for sale in 2024.
- Their story will be featured in our Black History Month 2023 marketing program.
Runner-Up Prize Winners (3) - Total Value $1000:
- $1000 Cash prize
All Participants Receive:
- Access to view Target HBCU Design Challenge exclusive videos and webinars as a virtual introduction to Target’s product development process and team.
- Eligibility to be invited to Fuel Cycle/Studio Connect, Target’s exclusive guest engagement platform.
- The opportunity to add The HBCU Design Challenge as a line item on their resume.
Winner Selection & Notification:
- Contest Finalists will be notified by email on approximately February 24, 2023.
- First Place Prize Winners will be notified by email on approximately March 31, 2023.
- Cash prizes will be awarded and apprenticeship notification by September 1, 2023.
- Marketing Prizes will be awarded by December 31, 2023.
By submitting your entry you are confirming that you have read and agree to the contest RULES.
Participation in the HBCU Design Challenge is entirely voluntary and does not create an employment relationship with Target. Individuals who do choose to participate will not be compensated for the time spent on their submission or for their submitted artwork.
By participating in this Contest, Participants are confirming that you understand that submitted concepts may or may not be part of Target’s previous, current or future business endeavors. By uploading a submission you agree to give Target a royalty free, irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, license for incidental use of your submission in any form, media or technology now known or later developed, only for historical, promotional or marketing purposes.