Fulfillment Center Operations Director- Amsterdam, NYApply Now Job ID: SUP0008PF Date posted: 12/12/2018 Location: 3802 - DC Amsterdam NY, Amsterdam, New York
Job Title: Operations Director
A role in Distribution and Receive Centers means being on the very front lines of getting product to the guest as fast as possible – a critical differentiator and one of the most essential functions within Logistics. Whether it’s through focusing on regional or upstream distribution centers, target.com fulfillment centers, or import warehouses, you’ll have the chance to positively impact thousands of fellow team members and Target guests worldwide. There’s so much good work to be done, from Distribution Center Operations, where process and problem solving drive our results; Quality Management, which influences and maintains our good name in the retail marketplace, or overall Distribution Center Productivity, where we’re always analyzing and recalibrating how to best support our people, process and technology investments to support an ever evolving business.
About the Role:
The Operations Director is responsible for leading effective teams within their operational area that execute and improve the operation of Target’s Global Supply Chain. The OD is empowered to make decisions and drive results within their operational department and is the accountable owner for all operational KPIs (Safety, Quality, Cycle Time, and Prod) for their area within the Distribution Center. In addition to achieving these KPIs, the OD is responsible for working with a broad set of supply chain stakeholders including Steam Team Leaders, OPC, IPC, ICQA, Store Operations, WMS, Design, Automation, etc. This collaboration facilitates the development and testing of new innovative solutions in a live production environment while providing clear feedback to ensure efficacy within operations and allow the supply chain to meet its safety, speed, quality, and throughput goals. Operates in a next/same day, demand driven, unit based replenishment system that is scalable throughout the network in the rapid timeline demanded by the changing retail landscape.
- Set a clear expectation that the safety and well-being of each and every team member is our top priority. Lead with an understanding that all incidents are preventable.
- Be an end:end SME in their Operational Area to provide operational expertise to accelerate the business acumen of building operational leaders as well as SC transformation team.
- Participate in Daily, Weekly, and Long Term Staffing discussions to ensure throughput goals are met.
- Assist in the execution of payroll, expense and capital budgets within prescribed guidelines. Guide operations to meet or beat Distribution Center budget goals.
- Create an environment of innovation that takes calculated risks to test and learn in order to make operational advancements.
- Understand supply chain key metrics and drive continuous improvement through problem solving, data analysis and root cause identification.
- Build positive employee relations and leadership bench strength within the team. Set clear goals, provides an overview of job requirements and expectations for Operations/Area Managers.
- Measures performance, provides feedback, and holds Operations/Area Managers accountable for their performance and the performance of their departments.
- Plans proactively to avoid crisis and handles unavoidable crises effectively. Ensures timely execution and communication.
- Practices open and continuous communication. Values keeping others well informed. Able to present ideas in writing and orally to clearly paint a picture of priorities/objectives and thought process and actions taken to achieve desired results so they are clearly and easily understood.
- Establishes and maintains effective relationships with Headquarters/Cross Functional partners.
- Participates in the interviewing and selection of new team members.
- Has a strong commitment to floor time on a daily basis to build team member inclusion and engagement, building effective channels of communication on operational and cultural issues.
- Collaborate extensively with other Supply Chain / Transformation Leaders and teams, providing thought leadership and ensuring team members are aligned around similar goals and objectives.
- Identify and address emerging performance trends by close partnership with the Supply Chain, GSCL Ops, ICQA and Technology teams.
- Foster a sense of urgency to achieve goals and leverage resources to overcome unexpected obstacles
- Understands supply chain key metrics and drives continuous improvement through problem solving, data analysis and root cause identification. Champions continuous improvement processes such as problem solving, lean sigma, GEMBA walks, and pacing to improve the operation. Creates an environment of innovation that takes calculated risks to test and learn in order to make operational advancements.
Reports to the Group Vice President. Supervises 1 Sr Operations Managers within the DC. Maintains close communications with peers and HQ partners.
- 8-10 years supply chain support area experience (store logistics experience also accepted)
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills – will interact with senior leadership on a recurring basis
- Ability to navigate organizational complexity
- Ability to thrive in ambiguity and proactively manage through conflicts and setbacks
- Ability to drive change
- Bachelor’s degree preferably in the areas of Logistics, Supply Chain, Engineering, Technology, Operations, or Business
- Experience with the full staffing lifecycle, including interviewing, hiring, performance management, promotions and termination
- Strong conflict management and problem solving skills
- Must be flexible to work a variety of hours as business demands including overnight, weekends, and holidays
- Ability to handle changing priorities and use of good judgment in stressful situations
- Able to access all areas of the DC, including mezzanine platforms
- Able to cross over the conveyors
- Able to operate computer/CRT
- Able to read and interpret necessary policies and procedures as well as other programs
- Open to relocation
- MBA degree; preferably in the areas of Logistics, Supply Chain, Engineering, Technology, Operations, or Business
- Experience with Lean/Six Sigma and root cause analysis in a technical problem solving environment
What’s it like to work here? We’re asked that a lot. Target respects and values the individuality of all team members and guests—and we have lots of fun in all that we do.experience our culture