Principal Engineer - iOSApply Now Location: Tower 02, Manyata Embassy Business Park, Bangalore, India, 540065; job id: R0000320393
job family: Product Engineering
schedule: Full time
As a Fortune 50 company with more than 450,000 team members worldwide, Target is an iconic brand and one of America's leading retailers.
Working at Target means the opportunity to help all families discover the joy of everyday life. Caring for our communities is woven into who we are, and we invest in the places we collectively live, work and play.
Target as a tech company? Absolutely. We’re the behind-the-scenes powerhouse that fuels Target’s passion and commitment to cutting-edge innovation. We anchor every facet of one of the world’s best-loved retailers with a strong technology framework that relies on the latest tools and technologies—and the brightest people—to deliver incredible value to guests online and in stores.
As a Principal Engineer you set the strategy for software development and/or infrastructure engineering at Target. You set the direction for how software and infrastructure engineering efforts will be designed, developed, and operationalized across multiple portfolios and drives adoption across Target Tech. You lead and approve software and infrastructure engineering efforts to meet functional and non-functional requirements. You are a thought leader and mentor for internal and external technical talent and actively contribute to the external technical community.
About the team:
This role is primarily in the Digital Engineering team of Target Tech. Our mission is to build best-in-class shopping experience for our customers through target.com website and flagship app on Android and iOS that is personalized and rewarding. We constantly innovate and experiment unique experiences for our customers to help them find the right product at the right time using the right fulfilment method which is most convenient for our them.
- The team in Bangalore is currently working on several key EKIs for Target and reimagining our website and app to make it more personalized, engaging and rewarding across the funnel. As a principal engineer, you will play a critical role in driving and implementing these EKIs and defining an architecture that is scalable and enables business to experiment features with ease and speed.
- Build overall mobile engineering vision/strategy/roadmap to consistently improve our platforms and system for better optimization, scale, stability and performance.
- Improve developer experience – we have a global engineering team spread across US and India. Tooling and developer experience is key to us to improve productivity.
- Most importantly, we have a strong engineering team at Target, but we are always looking to raise the bar. We want you to help mentor and grow talent at Target.
As a Principal iOS Engineer on the Flagship mobile team, you will:
- Influence and contribute to engineering initiatives and practices at the
enterprise (Target Tech) level
- Collaborate with other engineers across products and domains to continually
improve the iOS development standards and practices at Target Tech
- Be a thought leader and mentor for internal and external technical talent and
actively contribute to the external technical community
- Work with engineering leaders to build a high performing engineering team
and provide technical leadership, coaching, motivation and participate in the
selection of technical talent.
- Work closely with our product, UX, and API teams to implement an intuitive,
coherent, and engaging user experience
- Ensure high quality, stable, and performant code
- Perform code and design reviews that guarantee code quality
- Develop clean, well-tested native iOS code to deliver functionality that
meets business objectives
- Identify long-term tech opportunities that bring value and develop a roadmap
for future work to ensure continued product health and innovation in the mobile app space.
- Identify opportunities to perform or lead POC/POT with our teams
- 4 year degree or equivalent experience. Continuing education to maintain thorough knowledge of technical domains along with staying current in latest technologies
- 10+ years of experience in technology development or services, including deep experience of developing apps for iOS.
- In-depth knowledge of native tools and frameworks (e.g., Swift, SwiftUI, UIKit, Xcode, Instruments, etc.)
- Experience following best practices in developing iOS apps at scale on large, distributed teams, including modular app architecture, frameworks, build pipeline, on-prem and cloud CI/CD, automated testing, observability, code review, static analysis, etc.
- Experience developing highly successful apps that enjoy wide scale distribution
- Experience with design/development/use of analytics solutions
- Experience with test-driven development and software test automation
- Excellent debugging, performance and optimization skills
- Understands business fundamentals and how technologies can support business goals along with how to translate business vision into a technical strategy while understanding the financial implications.
- Has excellent verbal, written, and presentation communication skills to convey complex technical solutions clearly to an organization.
- Interested in growing a strong engineering culture that values diversity and inclusion.
What’s it like to work here? We’re asked that a lot. Target respects and values the individuality of all team members and guests—and we have lots of fun in all that we do.experience our culture