Director of Artificial Intelligence - Supply Chain OptimizationApply Now Job ID: R0000156422 job family: Artificial Intelligence schedule: Full time Location: 7000 Target Pkwy N, Brooklyn Park, Minnesota, United States, 55445;
JOIN TARGET AI AS DIRECTOR of ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE – MIDDLE MILE REPLENISHMENT
About the role:
Our Supply Chain AI team oversees the development of state-of-the-art mathematical techniques to help solve important problems for Target’s Supply Chain e.g. identifying the optimal quantities and positioning of inventory across multiple channels and locations, planning for the right mix of inventory investments vs guest experience, transportation resource planning, etc. As the AI leader for Middle Mile replenishment team, you will have the opportunity to create the vision for & drive the adoption of state-of-the-art quantitative techniques in creating planning systems to support inventory positioning and movement across various nodes within Target network. This is a great opportunity for leaders with a passion for creating value by leveraging AI science to improve organizational decisional making.
As a Director of AI at Target you will be the technical leader of a team that will design, develop, deploy and maintain artificial intelligence models and algorithms for our retail business. You’ll work closely with applied data scientists, data analysts and Merchandising business partners to continuously learn more about our business needs. You’ll also collaborate with engineers and AI scientists on peer teams to build and productionize replenishment solutions for our supply chain/logistics needs.
The Director in AI will work with Product, Tech and business partners to define product roadmaps that fit in our ecosystem and solve retail challenges at scale. You will build consensus and communicate with senior level leadership. You will drive the creation of new standards and best practices with a focus on emerging technologies and author various project related documents, vision statements and roadmap.
You will develop a world-class team providing development, coaching, motivation, support and feedback to team members. You’ll also create an atmosphere of teamwork and collaboration, inclusion, communicating day-to-day decisions, priorities and relevant project information. You’ll manage resource allocation as well as define and communicate overall vision and goals for the team.
In this role as Director of AI, you will:
- Develop a strong understanding of business and operational processes within Target’s Supply Chain. Identify opportunities to drive efficiencies through optimization/enhanced decision models.
- Manage a team that writes code for mathematical and statistical models to plan inventory movement for millions of items and compute prices every day including items that are new, in-season, promoted or in clearance. And across diverse product categories like Food and Beverage, Apparel, Home Goods, Fresh groceries.
- Partner with business users and engineering teams to design, deploy, and productize algorithms and models developed by your team.
- Lead, coach and oversee the work performed by your team. Set priorities appropriate to the development of all team members while ensuring business objectives/goals are met
- Impact our business by improving our ability to serve our Guests by ensuring inventory is available at the right place, by the right time and in the required quantity.
- Coordinate the analysis, troubleshooting and resolution of issues in our models and software
- Coach team members and partners on effective data science modeling and outcomes
- Partner with internal teams and external technology companies, including start-ups
- MS/PhD in Mathematics, Statistics, Operations Research, Industrial Engineering, Physics, Computer Science or equivalent work/industry experience
- 7+ years of experience in modeling and algorithms
- 3+ years managing/leading, career development and mentoring data/AI/ML teams
- Significant expertise in mathematical modeling and optimization, algorithm design, linear algebra, statistics, Markov decision processes and simulation techniques.
- Experience deploying models with large-scale business impact in commercial setting
- Demonstrated experience in strategic and cross-functional leadership, planning and execution
- Deep understanding of data structures and algorithms
- Highly proficient in Python, Kotlin, R or JVM ecosystem
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of last-mile, middle-mile replenishment or another business domain transferrable to supply chain/logistics.
- Experience in machine learning, artificial intelligence, optimization algorithms
- Experience working with large event-driven distributed systems and multi-threaded applications
- Track record of embracing and driving change, and influencing teams in adopting change to development/delivery methodology and processes
Why work with us at Target?
- You will work directly on the AI problems that have the most impact on Target's entire supply chain, forecasting and merchandising teams.
- We love open source! Many of our team members contribute to open source communities and get to do it during work time. We try to contribute back to our communities where we can and are grateful to be able to open source some of our own projects!
- We value diversity. We believe that diversity and inclusion is of core importance when try to create positive in-store experiences for our guests, and we think it is also critically important when building our teams. Read more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion
- We value our team members for who they are, not just what they can get done. We treat out team members like people, not like cogs in a machine. We are parents, hobbyists, enthusiasts, family members, and community members, and can offer flexibility to our team members' schedules and work arrangements so that they can flourish both inside and outside of work.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.
What’s it like to work here? We’re asked that a lot. Target respects and values the individuality of all team members and guests—and we have lots of fun in all that we do.experience our culture