Lead Engineer - File PlatformApply Now Job ID: INF000DIJ Date posted: 02/07/2019 Location: 0591 - HQ Target Northern Campus, Brooklyn Park, Minnesota
Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company and one of America’s leading retailers.
Target as a tech company? Absolutely. We’re the behind-the-scenes powerhouse that fuels Target’s passion and commitment to cutting-edge innovation. We anchor every facet of one of the world’s best-loved retailers with a strong technology framework that relies on the latest tools and technologies—and the brightest people—to deliver incredible value to guests online and in stores. Target Technology Services is on a mission to offer the systems, tools and support that guests and team members need and deserve. Our high-performing teams balance independence with collaboration, and we pride ourselves on being versatile, agile and creative. We drive industry-leading technologies in support of every angle of the business, and help ensure that Target operates smoothly, securely and reliably from the inside out.
As a lead engineer, you serve as the technical anchor for the engineering team that supports a product. You create, own and are responsible for the application architecture that best serves the product in its functional and non-functional needs.You identify and drive architectural changes to accelerate feature development or improve the quality of service (or both).You have deep and broad engineering skills and are capable of standing up an architecture in its whole on your own, but you choose to influence a wider team by acting as a “force multiplier”.Core responsibilities of this job are described within this job description. Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.
If you are interested in a grass-roots approach to re-inventing an age-old integration pattern and perhaps disrupt an entrenched industry, then you should join our team. We are the team that enables file-based integration for Data Movement at Target. Data flowing through our systems enables core supply chain functionality and we are re-inventing how that happens. Because we are completely rethinking how file integration happens, you will have the opportunity to help define our technologies, tools, patterns, technical architecture and features. Here are a few of things we are focused on:
• Completely devops driven deployment. We want to manage infrastructure as code to minimize human error and accelerate our delivery.
• Building good test cases. We want to use or continuous integration pipeline to catch problems early.
• Self-service for our user community. We want user of our product to be able to do as much as they can without needing to involve our team. This stops us from becoming a bottleneck to them and lets us focus on cool new features.
• Getting rid of our technical debt. We have legacy systems that the enterprise still relies on. We are clearing the deadwood and replacing these systems with our re-imagined product offerings.
• Taking ownership for as much of our platform as we reasonably can. Just like we don’t want to be a bottleneck to our users, we don’t want to be bottlenecked by other teams when it comes time to change our stack or how we do things.
• Modern tools and development practices. Our new stack runs across OpenStack, and Kubernetes and we have ideas for how we will leverage the public cloud. We also use Java, Ruby, Praxis, React, Apache Camel, Spring, Spring Boot, Spinnaker, Kafka, Grafana, ELK, Sensu, Consul, Java, Gradle, GitHub Enterprise, Jenkins, Artifactory, Drone, Slack, and PostgreSQL. Depending on the problem we are trying to solve, you will get the chance to help introduce more or change what we are using.
As a File platform engineer on Target’s File Team, you'll …
• Design and Implement web UI to facilitate self-service by our user community and explore what aspects we would introduce into Target’s app store.
• Design and implement enhancements to our File platform, this can include implementing new open source solutions that have been developed around the platform, improving our architecture, improving our monitoring capabilities, introduce data tracking, and developing and possibly open sourcing an API ecosystem that disrupts how EDI is done across the industry
• Help us retire our legacy system and reduce our technical debt
• Troubleshoot and resolve operational issues
• Help drive adoption of new technologies within the team and across Target
• Build prototypes to prove out concepts
- 4 year degree or equivalent experience
- 7+ years of software development experience with at least one full cycle implementation
- Demonstrates strong domain-specific knowledge regarding Target’s technology capabilities, and key competitors’ products and differentiating features
Demonstrates broad and deep expertise in multiple computer languages and frameworks (e.g., open source). Designs, develops, and approves end-to-end functionality of a product line, platform, or infrastructure
Communicates and coordinates with project team, partners, and stakeholders
Demonstrates expertise in analysis and optimization of systems capacity, performance, and operational health
Understands and develops solutions to foster data lifecycle management
Maintains deep technical knowledge within areas of expertise
Stays current with new and evolving technologies via formal training and self-directed education
Experience in building highly scalable distributed systems
• Experience with Kafka, Git/GitHub, OpenStack, containers, Java, Linux, PostgreSQL,Praxis, React, Apache Camel, RESTful APIs
• Personal or professional experience contributing to open source projects
• Innovative mindset – willingness to push new ideas into the company
What’s it like to work here? We’re asked that a lot. Target respects and values the individuality of all team members and guests—and we have lots of fun in all that we do.experience our culture