Lead EngineerApply Now Job ID: R0000134199 job family: Technology Engineering schedule: Full time Location: 7000 Target Pkwy N, Brooklyn Park, Minnesota, United States, 55445;
Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company, and one of America’s leading retailers.
Target as a tech company? Absolutely. We’re the behind-the-scenes powerhouse that fuels Target’s passion and commitment to cutting-edge innovation. We anchor every facet of one of the world’s best-loved retailers with a strong technology framework that relies on the latest tools and technologies—and the brightest people—to deliver incredible value to guests online and in stores. Target Technology Services is on a mission to offer the systems, tools, and support that guests and team members need and deserve. Our high-performing teams balance independence with collaboration, and we pride ourselves on being versatile, agile, and creative. We drive industry-leading technologies in support of every angle of the business and help ensure that Target operates smoothly, securely, and reliably from the inside out.
As a lead engineer, you serve as the technical anchor for the engineering team that supports a product. You create, own, and are responsible for the application architecture that best serves the product in its functional and non-functional needs. You identify and drive architectural changes to accelerate feature development or improve the quality of service (or both). You have deep and broad engineering skills and are capable of standing up an architecture in its whole on your own, but you choose to influence a wider team by acting as a “force multiplier”. Core Responsibilities of this job are described within this job description. Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.
Behind one of the world’s best-loved brands are a uniquely capable and brilliant team platform and UI engineers. The Point of Sale engineering team builds a universal POS application platform that enables us to deploy micro front-end applications to the edge with zero downtime, also enables rapid development of UI applications that personalize the guest and advocate experiences while creating a frictionless checkout experience within the store. We help Target in creating user-friendly and visually appealing front-end checkout applications, that improve the guest experience and accessibility needs when they are shopping in our inviting Target stores.
Use your skills, experience, and talents to be a part of groundbreaking thinking and visionary goals. As a Lead Engineer, you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Use your technology acumen to apply and maintain knowledge of current and emerging technologies within specialized area(s) of the technology domain.
- Evaluate new technologies and participates in decision-making, accounting for several factors such as viability within Target’s technical environment, maintainability, and cost of ownership.
- Initiate and execute research and proof-of-concept activities for new technologies. Lead or set strategy for testing and debugging at the platform or enterprise level. In complex and unstructured situations, serve as an expert resource to create and improve standards and best practices to ensure high-performance, scalable, repeatable, and secure deliverables.
- Lead the design, lifecycle management, and total cost of ownership of services.
- Provide the team with thought leadership to promote re-use and develop consistent, scalable patterns. Participate in planning services that have enterprise impact. Provide suggestions for handling routine and moderately complex technical problems, escalating issues when appropriate.
- Gather information, data, and input from a wide variety of sources; identify additional resources when appropriate, engage with appropriate stakeholders, and conduct an in-depth analysis of information.
- Provide suggestions for handling routine and moderately complex technical problems, escalating issues when appropriate. Develop plans and schedules, estimate resource requirements, and define milestones and deliverables. Monitor workflow and risks; play a leadership role in mitigating risks and removing obstacles.
- Lead and participate in complex construction, automation, and implementation activities, ensuring successful implementation with architectural and operational requirements met. Establish new standards and best practices to monitor, test, automate, and maintain IT components or systems.
- Serve as an expert resource in disaster recovery and disaster recovery planning. Stay current with Target’s technical capabilities, infrastructure, and technical environment.
- Develop fully attributed data models, including logical, physical, and canonical. Influence data standards, policies, and procedures. Install, configure, and/or tune data management solutions with minimal guidance. Monitor data management solution(s) and identify optimization opportunities.
Core responsibilities are described within this job description. Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.
• 4-year degree or equivalent experience
• 7+ years full-stack development
• Deep insight into Electron (Atom Shell) which is an open source framework that allows development of desktop UI using web technologies.
• Back-End experience in API design and development (Using nestJS and MongoDB)
• Demonstrates strong domain-specific knowledge regarding Target’s technology capabilities, and key competitors’ products and differentiating features
• Demonstrates broad and deep expertise in multiple computer languages and open source frameworks. Designs, develop and approve end-to-end functionality of a product line, platform, or infrastructure
• Communicates and coordinates with the product team, partners, and stakeholders
• Demonstrates expertise in analysis and optimization of systems capacity, performance, and operational health
• Understands and develops solutions to foster data lifecycle management
• Maintains deep technical knowledge within areas of expertise
• Stays current with new and evolving technologies via formal training and self-directed education
• Experience in building highly scalable distributed systems
• Ability to clearly articulate thoughts and ideas to stakeholder and partners
• Hands-on leadership, who can mentor junior engineers towards a strong OOP coding mindset.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.
What’s it like to work here? We’re asked that a lot. Target respects and values the individuality of all team members and guests—and we have lots of fun in all that we do.experience our culture