Lead Software Engineer - Performance Engineering - NoSQL (Full-Time Remote or Hybrid)Apply Now Location: 7000 Target Pkwy N, Brooklyn Park, Minnesota, United States, 55445; job id: R0000137535
job family: Product Engineering
schedule: Full time
Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company and one of America’s leading retailers.
Target as a tech company? Absolutely. We’re the behind-the-scenes powerhouse that fuels Target’s passion and commitment to cutting-edge innovation. We anchor every facet of one of the world’s best-loved retailers with a strong technology framework that relies on the latest tools and technologies—and the brightest people—to deliver incredible value to guests online and in stores. Target Tech is on a mission to offer the systems, tools and support that guests and team members need and deserve. Our high-performing teams balance independence with collaboration, and we pride ourselves on being versatile, agile, and creative. We drive industry-leading technologies in support of every angle of the business, and help ensure that Target operates smoothly, securely, and reliably from the inside out.
We are looking for highly motivated engineering professionals who can help connect the dots of end-to-end performance, enabling our product teams the insight and recommendations to maximize cross environmental performance. You’ll put your skills, experience, and passion to work in an entrepreneurial environment where success is rewarded. Individuals in this role will have opportunities to gain a large breadth of knowledge by working with experts in core infrastructure services and product development and share their knowledge with a tech hungry team.
About This Opportunity:
As a Lead Engineer in Performance Engineering (NoSQL), you serve as the technical anchor for the engineering team that supports a product. You create, own and are responsible for the application architecture that best serves the product in its functional and non-functional needs. You identify and drive architectural changes to accelerate feature development or improve the quality of service (or both). You have deep and broad engineering skills and are capable of standing up an architecture in its whole on your own, but you choose to influence a wider team by acting as a “force multiplier”. You have excellent problem-solving skills. You love keeping abreast of the latest industry trends and use them to help you innovate. You have leadership qualities, good judgment, and clear communication skills. If you’re excited to work on a fast-moving, tightly knit team and build solutions to unsolved problems, we want to meet you.
Use your skills, experience, and talents to be a part of groundbreaking thinking and visionary goals.
As a Lead Engineer in Performance Engineering, you’ll have the opportunity to:
- Design, implement and support tools aimed at defining key performance criteria in the NoSQL space (Cassandra, Mongo, Redis, JanusGraph and Neo4J) and dependent infrastructure components
- Develop APIs enabling the ability to obtain "self-service" recommendations on things like:
- Improving query performance
- Optimizing data models
- Evaluating and tuning JVMs
- Instituting architectural best practices
- Develop and implement observability of common key NoSQL performance metrics while leveraging capabilities like profiling and tracing
- Engage directly as needed to support product teams performance goals in their use of NoSQL technologies
- Collaborate with the core team to promote, re-use and develop consistent technical build, implementation and support processes following the agile design and documentation methodology
- Develop software and systems on test driven development and continuous integration practices
- Unit test code and create automated test scripts
- Consult with key development partners to refine data models ensuring optimal performance
- Monitor and maintain existing environments
- Research related products and make necessary software recommendations
- Innovate constantly and maintain the technical edge
- 5+ years of software and database development experience with at least one full implementation from requirement to production
- Familiarity with appropriate NoSQL use cases (Wide Column, Doc Store, Cache, Key Value, Graph, etc.) and extensive experience with at least one of the technologies (Cassandra, MongoDB, Redis, Neo4J, JanusGraph) which fill those cases
- Strong problem solving
- Strong sense of ownership and the ability to work with a limited set of requirements
- Team attitude, partnership skills
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- BS or MS in computer science or equivalent
- Solid understanding of the CAP Theorem and distributed computing
- Experience in monitoring, performance tuning and managing NoSQL clusters
- Exposure to either Cassandra clusters or MongoDB clusters preferred
- Strong understanding of complex query tuning
- In-depth knowledge of architecting, developing on, and optimizing NoSQL database systems
- Experience in data structure design, data modelling for NoSQL use cases
- JVM tuning a definite “plus”
- Experience with identifying hardware and software related issues
- Experience assisting with the design, implementation, and on-going support of NoSQL environments
- Experience with one or more scripting languages (Golang, Bash, Python, Ruby, Java, etc)
- CI/CD chain familiarity
- Experience with Full Stack Development
- Proven experience in managing NoSQL data base environments supporting critical 24/7 applications
- Experience with designing and support for data migration activities.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new technology and lead the adoption of successful patterns
- Experience working in an agile environment (i.e. user stories, iterative development, etc.)
- Working with test-driven development and software test automation
- Some technologies which are critical to the work we do:
This position may be considered for a Full-Time Remote or Hybrid work arrangement based on Target’s needs. A Hybrid work arrangement means the team members core role will be a blend of virtual and onsite at a Target location.A Full-Time Remote work arrangement means the team member works full-time from home or an alternate location that’s not a Target location, does not have a desk at their primary HQ work location and may travel to HQ up to 4 times a year.
Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada Residents Only: The salary range for Colorado, Connecticut or Nevada residents is$105,800-$190,400.Pay is based on several factors including but not limited to education, work experience, certifications, etc. In addition to your salary, Target cares about and invests in you as a team member, so that you can take care of yourself and your family. Find competitive benefitsfrom financial and education to well-being and beyond.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.
What’s it like to work here? We’re asked that a lot. Target respects and values the individuality of all team members and guests—and we have lots of fun in all that we do.experience our culture