Principal Engineer - Data CenterApply Now Job ID: R0000076307 job family: Technology Engineering schedule: Full time Location: 7000 Target Parkway North, Brooklyn Park, Minnesota, United States, 55445;
Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company and one of America’s leading retailers.
Target as a tech company? Absolutely. We’re the behind-the-scenes powerhouse that fuels Target’s passion and commitment to cutting-edge innovation. We anchor every facet of one of the world’s best-loved retailers with a strong technology framework that relies on the latest tools and technologies—and the brightest people—to deliver incredible value to guests online and in stores. Target Technology Services is on a mission to offer the systems, tools and support that guests and team members need and deserve. Our high-performing teams balance independence with collaboration, and we pride ourselves on being versatile, agile and creative. We drive industry-leading technologies in support of every angle of the business, and help ensure that Target operates smoothly, securely and reliably from the inside out.
Use your skills, experience and talents to be a part of groundbreaking thinking and visionary goals. As a Principal Engineer, you’ll take the lead as you…
Understand Target's business and technical environments and assist teams in resolving complex business challenges via current technical solutions by assessing viability/applicability/cost implication through POCs and prototypes. Collaborate with technical staff and Enterprise Architecture teams in setting technical direction across platform and drive technology lifecycle management and communication of standards/decisions to the engineering team. Participate in procurement specifications, installation, and maintenance of Target systems. Lead designing and building the Target platform API with deep focus on non-functional requirement including scalability, availability, performance, etc while being a strong advocate of extreme agile and DevOps practices across engineers. Work with engineering leaders to build a high performing engineering team and provide technical leadership, coaching, motivation and participate in the selection of technical talent.
Core responsibilities of this job are described within this job description. Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.
- 4 year degree or equivalent experience. Continuing education to maintain thorough knowledge of technical domains along with staying current in latest technologies
- 12+ years of experience in technology development or services
- 4+ years of experience in strategic planning and setting technical direction
- Possesses a strong understanding of systems programming and control languages as required by your domain. Has demonstrated success in solving complex technical problems in more than one technical or functional areas
- Understands business fundamentals and how technologies can support business goals along with how to translate business vision into a technical strategy while understanding the financial implications
- Has proven leadership capabilities, the ability to influence others, interpersonal skills, and problem solving skills
- Strong team player who understands concepts of teamwork and team effectiveness.
- Has excellent verbal, written, and presentation communication skills to convey complex technical solutions clearly to an organization
- Has excellent planning and organizational skills.
- Experience in Java/ J2EE, sql/ no-sql (postgre, mongoDB, Cassandra, graph structure, etc), Python, Ruby, Chef, Drone, Kubernetes containers, Cloud tech, etc.
Top of the stack:
- Java, Go, Python, Load Balancing, Geo-graphic Load Balancing, Service Mesh concepts, DNS
Middle of the stack:
- Skills in Network Backbone routing, BGP, BGP-EVPN, DNS, CI/CD pipelines, practicing Infra as Code, Service Mesh/Routing such as Envoy or Istio, Python, Java, Go, Load Balancing, Geo-graphic Load Balancing,
Lower Stack Focus:
- Broad range of skills in Data Center Facilities Management
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.
What’s it like to work here? We’re asked that a lot. Target respects and values the individuality of all team members and guests—and we have lots of fun in all that we do.experience our culture