Sr Engineer - Guest Facing Device EngineeringApply Now Job ID: R0000153493 job family: Technology Engineering schedule: Full time Location: 7000 Target Pkwy N, Brooklyn Park, Minnesota, United States, 55445;
JOIN US AS AN SR ENGINEER, Guest Facing Device Engineering
Similar Industry Titles and Key Words: Systems Engineer, Software Development Engineer, DevOps Engineer, InfraCode (IaC) Engineer
Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company and one of America’s leading retailers.
Target as a tech company? Absolutely. We’re the behind-the-scenes powerhouse that fuels Target’s passion and commitment to cutting-edge innovation. We anchor every facet of one of the world’s best-loved retailers with a strong technology framework that relies on the latest tools and technologies—and the brightest people—to deliver incredible value to guests online and in stores. Target Technology Services is on a mission to offer the systems, tools and support that guests and team members need and deserve. Our high-performing teams balance independence with collaboration, and we pride ourselves on being versatile, agile and creative. We drive industry-leading technologies in support of every angle of the business, and help ensure that Target operates smoothly, securely and reliably from the inside out.
As a Senior Engineer, you serve as a specialist in the engineering team that enhances the current footprint of devices in our product portfolio and build guest-facing devices of the future. You contribute to the development of the platforms and underlying architecture. You can translate an abstract architecture into concrete design and influence and contribute to the implementation. You show expertise in applying the appropriate software engineering patterns to build robust and scalable systems. You apply programming expertise in developing the platform. You show good problem solving skills and can help the team in triaging operational incidents and use those learnings to develop proactive solutions.
You apply and maintain knowledge of current and emerging technologies within the technology domain. You evaluate new technologies and participate in the decision-making process, performing analysis within Target’s technical environment to ensure the total cost of ownership is well understood. You will initiate and execute research and proof-of-concept exercises for new technologies. You will lead the design, lifecycle management, and total cost of ownership activities. You will lead and conduct code review, design review, testing, and debugging activities at the application level. Actively participate in functional design and architecture discussions with an understanding of process flows and system diagrams to enable design decisions. Contribute to construction, automation, and implementation activities, ensuring successful implementation with architectural and operational requirements and best practices. Provide technical oversight and coach others to resolve complex and severe technical issues. Lead disaster recovery activities and contribute to disaster recovery planning. Embed data quality protocols throughout data acquisition, processing, storage, and operational use. Core responsibilities of this job are described within this job description. Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.
About This Opportunity:
The Guest facing device engineering Team at Target, we manage the ecosystem of 56,000 retail POS endpoints in Target stores. Further, we are rolling out cutting-edge technology with our next generation registers and scales with the architecture to provide a great experience for our guests.
In your role as a Sr. Engineer on the Guest facing device engineering Team, you will be contributing to state of the art next generation retail devices. You will design, build, deploy, support the next generation open source platform, and innovative device management. Prospective candidates will have experience in software development with an eagerness to learn while embracing the Growth Mindset. Share experiences in an Agile environment, manage software-defined infrastructure, gather story details, and collaborate with partner teams to develop and implement solutions in an iterative manner.
We urge Target engineers to participate in learning opportunities such as Hack-a-thons, Engineering events, innovation sprints, and quarterly Demo Days. As an engineer on the Guest facing device engineering team, you will contribute and affect change using a diverse cross-section of the following technologies and skillsets:
- One or more object oriented languages such as: Java, Kotlin, GoLang, etc.
- Development of scripts with languages such as Python, Bash
- Familiarity and working knowledge of Springboot framework
- REST API design
- Working knowledge of Linux
- Familiarity of relational DBs
- Use of source control and SDLC best practices using tools such as Github etc.
- Understanding of CI-CD tools such as Vela, Drone or Jenkins
- Familiarity with tools such as Kafka, Telegraf, Kibana, and Grafana
As a member of an Agile team, a successful candidate will possess the following traits:
- A motivated, positive, and driven
- Adaptable to change
- Actively collaborates in an Agile product driven environment
- Helping to resolve hardware, operational, infrastructure, and application incidents escalated from support teams during on-call rotations
- Drive problem root cause analysis through the operating system and application log investigation
- Develop automated preventative maintenance, troubleshooting, and quickly resolve problems to ensure infrastructure and application stability
- 4 year degree or equivalent experience
- 3+ years of software development experience
- Working knowledge on package-specific configuration and deployment along with ability to build custom solutions
- Designs new testing methods and resolves routine and non-routine technical issues with minimal assistance
- Demonstrates strong proficiency in core development platforms within own domain
- Builds strong commitment within the team to support the appropriate team priorities
- Clearly communicates Agile concepts to partners within product team
- Demonstrates a solid understanding of the impact of own work on the team and/or guests
- Writes and organizes code using multiple computer languages, including distributed programming and understand different frameworks and paradigm
- Delivers high-performance, scalable, repeatable, and secure deliverables with broad impact (high throughput and low latency)
- Influences and applies data standards, policies, and procedures
- Maintains technical knowledge within areas of expertise
- Stays current with new and evolving technologies via formal training and self-directed education
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.
What’s it like to work here? We’re asked that a lot. Target respects and values the individuality of all team members and guests—and we have lots of fun in all that we do.experience our culture