Sr EngineerApply Now Job ID: INF000CR0 Date posted: 08/02/2018 Location: 0591 - HQ Target Northern Campus, Brooklyn Park, Minnesota
Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company and one of America’s leading retailers.
Target as a tech company? Absolutely. We’re the behind-the-scenes powerhouse that fuels Target’s passion and commitment to cutting-edge innovation. We anchor every facet of one of the world’s best-loved retailers with a strong technology framework that relies on the latest tools and technologies—and the brightest people—to deliver incredible value to guests online and in stores. Target Technology Services is on a mission to offer the systems, tools and support that guests and team members need and deserve. Our high-performing teams balance independence with collaboration, and we pride ourselves on being versatile, agile and creative. We drive industry-leading technologies in support of every angle of the business, and help ensure that Target operates smoothly, securely and reliably from the inside out.
This specific role is on the Case and Knowledge Management team, which builds and supports systems for our Financial and Retail Services (FRS) business. These applications are used daily by tens of thousands of team members (stores and headquarters) and guests enabling easy and frictionless guest service.
As a Senior Engineer, you serve as a specialist in the engineering team that supports our product. You help develop and gain insight into the application architecture. You show expertize in applying the appropriate software engineering patterns to build robust and scalable systems. You can distill an abstract architecture into concrete design and influence the implementation. You are an expert in programming and apply your skills in developing the product. While you have the skills to design and implement the architecture on your own, you also choose to influence your fellow engineers by providing feedback on software designs and implementation. You possess great problem-solving skills and can help the team in triaging operational issues, while recognizing patterns that help eliminate repeat occurrences.
• Evaluate new technologies and participate in decision-making, accounting for several factors such as viability within Target’s technical environment, maintainability, stability, security, and cost of ownership.
• Lead and conduct code review, design review, testing, and debugging activities.
• Lead functional design and architecture discussions with understanding of process flows and system diagrams to enable design decisions.
• Participate in software construction, automation, and implementation activities while leveraging architectural and operational requirements and best practices.
• Provide technical oversight and coach others to resolve complex and severe technical issues and contribute to disaster recovery planning.
• Demonstrates strong proficiency in core development platforms within your own domain.
• Innovate constantly and maintain Target’s technical edge.
• Work closely with other engineers and partners to ensure development meets business needs.
• Develop software and systems using test driven development and continuous integration practices.
• Stay current with new and evolving technologies via formal training and self-directed education.
• Deliver high-performance, scalable, repeatable, and secure deliverables with broad impact (high throughput and low latency).
• Builds strong commitment within the team to support the appropriate team priorities
• Demonstrates a solid understanding of the impact of own work on the team and/or guests
Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.
• 3 - 7 years of software development experience.
• Experience with Java, Spring Boot, REST, JSON, SQL, RDBMS, and other open-source development technologies.
• Strong problem-solving and thought partnership abilities.
• Team first attitude.
• Experience in building highly-scalable distributed systems.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Experience building and scaling RESTful APIs.
• Experience with event-driven platforms, such as Kafka or something similar.
• Full-stack open-source development experience.
• Exposure to DevOps tools practices and culture (Kubernetes, Docker, Spinnaker, Jenkins, Drone, Git, etc).
• Salesforce development experience
What’s it like to work here? We’re asked that a lot. Target respects and values the individuality of all team members and guests—and we have lots of fun in all that we do.experience our culture