Sr. Network Engineer - Device Reliability TeamApply Now Job ID: R0000096398 job family: Technology Engineering schedule: Full time Location: 7000 Target Pkwy N, Brooklyn Park, Minnesota, United States, 55445;
Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company and one of America’s leading retailers.
Target as a tech company? Absolutely. We’re the behind-the-scenes powerhouse that fuels Target’s passion and commitment to cutting-edge innovation. We anchor every facet of one of the world’s best-loved retailers with a strong technology framework that relies on the latest tools and technologies—and the brightest people—to deliver incredible value to guests online and in stores. Target Technology Services is on a mission to offer the systems, tools and support that guests and team members need and deserve. Our high-performing teams balance independence with collaboration, and we pride ourselves on being versatile, agile and creative. We drive industry-leading technologies in support of every angle of the business, and help ensure that Target operates smoothly, securely and reliably from the inside out.
As a Senior Engineer, you serve as a specialist in the engineering team that supports the product. You help develop and gain insight in the application architecture. You can distill an abstract architecture into concrete design and influence the implementation. You show expertise in applying the appropriate software engineering patterns to build robust and scalable systems. You are an expert in programming and apply your skills in developing the product. You have the skills to design and implement the architecture on your own, but choose to influence your fellow engineers by proposing software designs, providing feedback on software designs and/or implementation. You show good problem-solving skills and can help the team in triaging operational issues. You leverage your expertise in eliminating repeat occurrences.
Use your skills, experience and talents to be a part of groundbreaking thinking and visionary goals. As a Sr. Engineer on the Device Reliability team, you’ll take the lead as you…
Use your technology acumen to apply and maintain knowledge of current and emerging network and device technologies. Identify and prioritize reliability opportunities while partnering with multiple product teams on solutions to enhance the technology interaction experience for team members and guests in Stores. Evaluate new technologies and participate in decision-making, accounting for several factors such as reliability, viability within Target’s technical environment, maintainability, and cost of ownership. Initiate and execute research and proof-of-concept activities for new technologies. Lead and conduct code review, design review, testing, and debugging activities at the application level as you help develop and maintain enterprise inventory, asset management, vendor integration and device management applications. Participate in functional design and architecture discussions with understanding of process flows and system diagrams to enable design decisions. Provide technical oversight and coach others to resolve complex and severe technical issues. Embed data quality protocols throughout data acquisition, processing, storage, and operational use. Core responsibilities of this job are described within this job description. Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.
• 4 year degree or equivalent experience
• 5+ years of software development experience
• Demonstrates strong domain-specific knowledge regarding Target’s technology capabilities, and key competitors’ products and differentiating features
• Working knowledge on package-specific configuration and deployment along with ability to build custom solutions
• Designs new testing methods and resolves routine and non-routine technical issues with minimal assistance
• Demonstrates strong proficiency in core development platforms within own domain
• Builds strong commitment within the team to support the appropriate team priorities
• Clearly communicates Agile concepts to partners within product team
• Demonstrates a solid understanding of the impact of own work on the team and/or guests
• Writes and organizes code using multiple computer languages, including distributed programming and understand different frameworks and paradigm
• Delivers high-performance, scalable, repeatable, and secure deliverables with broad impact (high throughput and low latency)
• Influences and applies data standards, policies, and procedures
• Maintains technical knowledge within areas of expertise
• Stays current with new and evolving technologies via formal training and self-directed education
• Designing and implementing new network solutions and/or improving the efficiency of current networks
• Installing, configuring and supporting network equipment including routers, proxy servers, switches, WAN accelerators, DNS and DHCP
• Configuring firewalls, routing and switching to maximize network efficiency and security
• Maximizing network performance through ongoing monitoring and troubleshooting
• Arranging scheduled upgrades
• Investigating faults in the network
• Updating network equipment to the latest firmware releases
• Reporting network status to key stakeholders
• Automating in Python, Ansible using API (RESTCONF) and CLI
• Utilizing CI/CD technologies (Git, Chef, Jenkins, Drone, Docker, Vagrant, Kubernetes, Spinnaker)
• Working knowledge of monitoring and analytics tools (Sensu, ELK, Telegraf/Influx, Grafana)
• Creating secure infrastructure through automation
• Ability and interest to mentor peers and junior engineers
• Hands-On experience managing large distributed network environments (e.g. CCNP/CCIE)
• Working in a DevOps/Agile environment
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.
What’s it like to work here? We’re asked that a lot. Target respects and values the individuality of all team members and guests—and we have lots of fun in all that we do.experience our culture