Director ER Counsel
Director Counsel, Employee Relations
Date: November 2019
Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company and one of America’s leading retailers.
To match the signature style and passion of Target’s distinctive and beloved retail brand, Target Legal Affairs is a dynamic and deeply knowledgeable team of legal pros, each with valuable expertise from several disciplines. Whether specializing in government affairs, policy, risk management, regulatory compliance, ethics or employee and labor relations, this team advocates for Target and its business plans in communities across the nation and works across the entire company to provide internal clients with cohesive guidance. We are committed to being internal experts to both internal and external entities on key issues that affect Target’s ability to productively do business. We focus on defining, investigating, anticipating and ultimately mitigating risk in all its forms. We apply our grasp of brand law by overseeing, maintaining and ensuring correct, consistent and authorized use of Target’s signature Bullseye logo, assets and other trademarked material. We help protect Target and its subsidiaries by applying our comprehensive understanding and interpretation of the laws that govern our stores, distribution centers and corporate locations. Here, you’ll enjoy working autonomously with a healthy work-life balance. Your passion for learning the business and building relationships with the senior leaders and key business partners that you support will be key to tackling the ever-changing legal challenges we face in a dynamic and fast-paced retail landscape. From brand and patent law to contract development and negotiations, you’ll be challenged and gratified by a role with Target Legal Affairs.
A role with Employee Relations means the opportunity to provide legal counsel on internal employee relations matters for our domestic field, headquarters and international locations. Your internal clients will be Human Resources and various business leaders, and you’ll consult on investigations and respond to both internal and external claims.
- Provide expert legal counsel in Employee Relations matters for assigned areas of responsibility. Work with the Employee Relations teams to identify legal and HR-related issues. Follow and recommend improvements to related work processes and works with available resources to ensure that issues in assigned areas are being addressed.
- Serve clients in pyramid-specific or project-specific work to ensure strategies and actions in ER matters support the company's brand, mission and philosophy. Understand HR and business objectives and strategies.
- Strategically manage employment litigation and agency matters along with key partners.
- Work independently with outside counsel. Follow standards for legal work in assigned areas and ensure that work is performed in a cost-effective manner.
- Remain current on legal and business developments and share appropriately with ER/LR team and business partners.
- Assist in representing Target's interests to government agencies and other outside entities.
Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.
- J.D. or equivalent from accredited law school and admitted to a state bar.
- 5+ years at a law firm or in-house capacity serving clients in Employee Relations matters
- Experience providing consultation and legal advice in a corporate or law firm setting,
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong ability to establish effective, trusted team and client relationships
- Strong litigation experience with significant employment law background
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.
What’s it like to work here? We’re asked that a lot. Target respects and values the individuality of all team members and guests—and we have lots of fun in all that we do.experience our culture