Director, Merch Finance, Essentials & BeautyApply Now Location: 1000 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States, 55403-2542; job id: R0000286514
job family: Financial Planning & Analysis
schedule: Full time
As a Fortune 50 company with more than 350,000 team members worldwide, Target is an iconic brand and one of America's leading retailers.
Working at Target means the opportunity to help all families discover the joy of everyday life. Caring for our communities is woven into who we are, and we invest in the places we collectively live, work and play. We prioritize relationships, fuel and develop talent by creating growth opportunities, and succeed as one Target team. At our core, our purpose is ingrained in who we are, what we value, and how we work. It’s how we care, grow, and win together.
Right on pace with Target’s distinctive retail brand, Target Finance and Accounting are transforming for the better. As so much more than a financial analyst or a behind-the-scenes number-cruncher, you will be a truly collaborative partner with a seat at the table. You’ll bring your unique point of view, experience and passion for the work to your team and internal clients. In Finance, you’ll be an integral voice in discussions that lead to Target’s unparalleled shopping experience. Your analysis and recommendations will be directly applied to critical business decisions, from sales to merchandising and beyond. Within Finance, you’ll enjoy the interesting challenges of the competitive retail space, and you’ll have a 360-degree impact—rather than on just one part of the business. You’ll see your contributions come to life in virtually every area of this dynamic enterprise. And you’ll grow and be challenged in your career while having a healthy balance with life outside of work.
A role in Financial Planning & Analysis means belonging to a great team of genuine, diverse, courageous and versatile people who put integrity and ethics at the heart of everything they do. Together, you’ll drive outstanding financial results by enabling and accelerating Target’s strategic execution. You’ll nurture influential partnerships with leaders who value your credibility, thanks to the quality and reliability of your insights. To teams across Target, you’ll bring your skills for analytical rigor, creative problem-solving and sound decision-making. You’ll be an active contributor to cross-functional teams. You’ll rise to the challenge of the dynamic retail industry, brining innovative solutions that have a direct impact on financial and operational direction-setting, merchandising and capital investments and how to best use our resources. All of your good work will help elevate and maintain Target as one of the world’s most recognized and best-loved retail brands.
The Director of Merchandise Finance for Essentials & Beauty will lead a group of highly talented senior managers and take the lead to:
- Set Financial Priorities and Influence Key Business Decisions
- Analyze trends and assess the financial health of the business to help with long-term planning, day to day decisions, and contingency scenarios
- Provide financial insights and develop a point of view on critical business decisions related to assortment productivity, store space allocation, promotional effectiveness, and digital penetration
- Work closely with senior leaders in Merchandising, Operations, and Finance to develop and execute business strategies to gain market share and expand profit margins
- Manage and influence the end to end (Sales to EBIT) success of the Essentials & Beauty business
- Analyze variances between forecast, plan and actual results and identify actions to address gaps/risks and accelerate opportunities
- Develop Strategic Plans and Long Range Financial Goals
- Play a critical role in the acceleration and growth of Target’s Essentials & Beauty business, partnering with a broad set of cross-functional leaders to challenge and optimize the operating model
- Set financial goals for divisions based on external and internal factors and size key strategic building blocks and tactics
- Facilitate annual and long range financial planning processes across the organization
- Drive Business Case Development and Assess Investment ROI
- Develop business cases for investment decisions such as in-store innovations, brand development and digital growth opportunities that align with strategic and financial goals
- Measure and report on investment ROI to evaluate impact of new strategies
- Influence how to optimize investments in new brands and emerging trends
- Lead, Develop, and Coach a Highly Talented and Motivated team
- Attract, manage, and develop experienced finance talent
- Set priorities, remove obstacles for delivering on objectives, and ensure the team is focused on providing value-added support that helps deliver strong financial performance
- Partner across broader finance and accounting teams to drive business opportunities, identify needed expertise, and serve as a liaison to other finance stakeholders
- Champion process improvement and efficiency initiatives across Target’s portfolio of business
Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.
- B.A/B.S degree or equivalent experience in Finance, Business, Merchandising or other related field
- MBA/CPA/MA Preferred
- 7+ years of business or analytical experience, with Essentials & Beauty, CPG or equivalent preferred
- Excellent communication, collaboration and interpersonal skills
- Strong analytical aptitude and critical thinking skills with demonstrated results driving critical strategies forward
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage project deadlines and competing priorities effectively
- Demonstrated leadership skills that showcase the ability to direct, influence and coach a team of partners, peers, and direct reports
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.
already started an application?log in to continue
still have some questions?check out the careers FAQ
curious about our benefits?explore how we care
What’s it like to work here? We’re asked that a lot. Target respects and values the individuality of all team members and guests—and we have lots of fun in all that we do.experience our culture