Director Merchandising Finance
Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company and one of America’s leading retailers. Divisions within Hardlines include Portable Electronics, Home Electronics, Mobile Services, Entertainment, Toys, and Sporting Goods.
Right on pace with Target’s distinctive retail brand, Target Finance and Accounting are transforming for the better. As so much more than a financial analyst or a behind-the-scenes number-cruncher, you will be a truly collaborative partner with a seat at the table helping to commercialize solutions that sustain Target’s competitive advantage. You’ll bring your unique point of view, experience, passion for problem solving, and financial acumen to your direct and cross-functional teams.
In Finance, you’ll be an integral voice in discussions that lead to the execution of Target’s unparalleled guest experience. Your analysis and recommendations will be directly applied to critical business decisions, from growing sales and gross margin, to improving the efficiency and effectiveness of working and fixed capital decisions, merchandising strategies and beyond. Within Finance, you’ll enjoy the interesting challenges of the competitive retail space, and you’ll have a 360-degree, end-to-end P&L impact. You’ll see your contributions come to life in virtually every area of this dynamic enterprise. And you’ll grow and be challenged in your career while having a healthy balance with life outside of work.
You will belong to a great team of bold, diverse, courageous, accountable, humble and versatile team members who put integrity and ethics at the heart of everything they do. Together, you’ll partner and drive outstanding financial results by enabling and accelerating the execution of Target’s strategy. You’ll nurture influential partnerships with leaders within Hardlines who value your credibility and yearn to be objectively influenced, thanks to the quality and reliability of your insights with impact. To Hardlines and teams across Target, you’ll bring your skills for analytical rigor, creative problem-solving and sound decision-making to strategically grow the business.
The Director will lead and coach a group of highly talented senior managers, and take the lead as you and your team:
- Set Financial Priorities and Influence Key Business Decisions
- Analyze trends and assess the financial health of the business to help with long-term planning, day to day decisions, and contingency scenarios
- Provide financial insights and develop a point of view on critical business decisions related to assortment productivity, store space allocation, promotional effectiveness, and digital penetration
- Work closely with senior leaders in Merchandising, Operations, and Finance to develop and execute business strategies to gain market share and expand profit margins
- Manage and influence the end to end (Sales to EBIT) success of the Hardlines business
- Analyze variances between forecast, plan and actual results and identify actions to address gaps and accelerate opportunities
- Develop Strategic Plans and Long Range Financial Goals
- Play a critical role in the acceleration and growth of Target’s Hardlines business, partnering with a broad set of cross-functional leaders to challenge and optimize the operating model
- Set financial goals for divisions based on external and internal factors and size key strategic building blocks and tactics
- Facilitate annual and long range financial planning processes across the organization
- Drive Business Case Development and Assess Investment ROI
- Develop business cases for investment decisions such as in-store innovations, brand development and digital growth opportunities that align with strategic and financial goals
- Measure and report on investment ROI to evaluate impact of new strategies
- Influence how to optimize investments in new brands, services, labor, and emerging trends
- Lead, Develop, and Coach a Highly Talented and Motivated team
- Attract, manage, and develop seasoned finance talent
- Set priorities, remove obstacles for delivering on objectives, and ensures the team is focused on providing value-added support that helps deliver strong financial performance
- Partner across broader finance and accounting teams to drive business opportunities, identify needed expertise, and serve as a liaison to other finance stakeholders
- Champion process improvement initiatives across Target’s portfolio of business
Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.
- 4-year college degree (Accounting, Business, Economics, or Finance)
- 7 – 10+ years analytical experience, strong analytical aptitude
- Retail experience, specifically in Hardlines, CPG or equivalent preferred
- Ability to direct, influence and coach a team of partners, peers, and direct reports
- Tolerance for ambiguity and comfort working in gray
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage deadlines effectively
- A passion for excellence
- Ability to prioritize effectively
- Excellent discovery, communication, collaboration and interpersonal skills
- MBA/CPA/MA desired
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.
What’s it like to work here? We’re asked that a lot. Target respects and values the individuality of all team members and guests—and we have lots of fun in all that we do.experience our culture