Director of Technology – IoT PlatformApply Now Job ID: R0000117457 job family: Technology Engineering schedule: Full time Location: 33 S 6th St, Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States, 55402-3601;
Director of Technology – IoT Platform
About us: Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company and one of America’s leading retailers.
Target as a tech company? Absolutely. We’re the behind-the-scenes powerhouse that fuels Target’s passion and commitment to cutting-edge innovation. We anchor every facet of one of the world’s best-loved retailers with a strong technology framework that relies on the latest tools and technologies—and the brightest people—to deliver incredible value to guests online and in stores. Target Technology Services is on a mission to offer the systems, tools and support that guests and team members need and deserve. Our high-performing teams balance independence with collaboration, and we pride ourselves on being versatile, agile and creative. We drive industry-leading technologies in support of every angle of the business, and help ensure that Target operates smoothly, securely and reliably from the inside out.
Are you interested in building large scale distributed systems to help Target create smarter guest services, operate stores and distribution centers more efficiently and to deliver high value at low cost for our guests? Are you interested in solving complex problems using Internet of Things (IoT), Machine Learning, Computer Vision, and AR/VR? If so, we are looking for a Director of Technology for IoT(Internet of Things) to build and lead a highly talented engineering team focused on building the next generation platform for automation and robotics at Target. The IoT Platform will enable Target to be nimble in delivering industrial automation, connected devices and robotics use cases that enables Target to provide a great customer experience to our guests and to get their orders fulfilled through multiple channels on time and to their satisfaction. This platform will become the foundation for business and engineering partners to easily onboard and integrate connected devices, Material handling equipment (MHE) and robotics into Targets’ technology stack. This role will have a unique challenge of rapidly developing and deploying IoT solutions at Target across all of our 1800+ stores, distribution centers and fulfillment centers.
- Define and execute long-term strategy and roadmap for use of IoT at Target
- Work with leadership to ensure that overall business objectives are met through the development and management of necessary enterprise technology solutions
- Work with business leaders across Stores, Supply Chain and Digital to understand business objectives and strategies
- Partner with internal and external partners on various technology initiatives to manage the planning, execution and control of multiple projects simultaneously to successful completion
- Provide technical leadership and mentorship on software development tools, technology and Agile development methodologies.
- Drive software development process improvements and establish best practices to delivery high quality software.
- Own technology direction and execution for IoT platform. Determine the right technology choices to best deliver business value, scalability and reliability of the solution
- Inspire a strong culture of engineering through meetups, open source contributions and other media
- Lead hiring and development of software development engineers and managers
- Mentor software developers and grow their skills, manage their performance including reviews, promotions etc.
- Manage the day-to-day activities of the engineering team within an Agile/Scrum environment.
- Lead a team of high caliber and diverse managers and engineers.
Required Skills and Background:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field.
- 10+ years of software engineering experience
- 7+ years of managing teams with a strong track record of delivery for large and complex platforms.
- Experience in operating large scale systems.
- Experience with operating large-scale distributed systems and raising the bar on operational excellence.
- Extensive technical knowledge and experience in highly scalable distributed systems development.
- Knowledge of open source technologies
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to variety of audiences.
- Team-oriented, passionate about developing others’ skills and capabilities.
- Deep understanding of agile development practices including continuous integration and delivery.
- Strong sense of ownership and problem-solving skills.
- Experience in at least one modern programming language such as Java, C, C++ or Go.
- Deep expertise in understanding of various constraints and design requirements for highly scalable, large scale distributed systems.
- Experience with IoT, Connected Devices, Timeseries databases, Big data technologies, Stream processing, Machine Learning and Robotics integration.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.
What’s it like to work here? We’re asked that a lot. Target respects and values the individuality of all team members and guests—and we have lots of fun in all that we do.experience our culture