Director Product Design UX ResearchApply Now Job ID: TAR0005HA Date posted: 07/12/2018 Location: HQ MN Minneapolis Downtown, Minneapolis, Minnesota
Research Director – UX & Accessibility
The Research Director is responsible for building empathy for the Target Guest throughout the product development lifecycle for Target’s web, app and registry product teams. As a leader in Target’s UX and Accessibility team, this team member will collaborate and partner with Product Designers, Product Managers and Engineering for a broad set of digital and in-store experiences.
Use your skills, experience and talents to be a part of groundbreaking thinking and visionary goals. Take the lead as you…
- Together with Design and Product team leadership, understand and support the strategic direction of the company and the digital teams’ businesses through research and discovery
- Advocate for the guest by driving research at the core of product development. Serve as a catalyst to educate, accelerate, and activate product design and development to be masters of guest needs and apply that into their product designs
- Manage a team of researchers including hiring and on-going training and development, providing guidance, coaching and feedback, performance management and day to day oversight of projects including directing, assigning and prioritizing work
- Consult or have an inform role on projects led by researchers, matching appropriate level of support based on team member needs. Provide necessary resources/support and remove roadblocks. At times,lead extremely ambiguous/complex projects that require director-level leadership
- Continue to develop in-house capabilities (innovation efforts, usability, etc.)
- Build and maintain relationships with senior leaders within the organization and serve as a partner on projects, key strategies, decisions and business opportunities
- Connect UX Research learnings and projects to other businesses and enterprise-wide initiatives to create greater synergies and amplify the learnings to infuse the voice of the guest into the culture
- Engage with senior leaders to identify knowledge gaps and appropriately partner to prioritize projects and determine what resources are needed. Align senior leaders on strategy development goals and commitment for each project and support annual learning plans
- Assist in translating research insights into powerful stories that help shape product design and development and garner leader’s support within the team. Utilize quantitative and qualitative research methods and know when to use one or the other
- Ensure relevance and quality of insights based on sound research principles and practices
- Serve as accountable owner of designated Research budget, including forecasting and monthly adjustments
- Continue to grow and innovate in the use of current and emerging research methodologies, techniques, and tools
- Act as a strategic thought partner and provide expert guidance in leading, conducting, and synthesizing qualitative research projects – including, but not limited to: in person moderated testing, remote moderated & unmoderated testing, surveys, heuristic reviews, benchmark studies, concept testing, online & in-store intercepts, ethnographies, shop-alongs.
- 10 + years of experience practicing UX design research for digital product teams.
- 4+ years of experience managing people
- 10+ years of experience in a digital or ecommerce environment
- Excellent strategic thinking and problem solving skills.
- Ability to use company strategy as a guidepost to execute on research projects to support that strategy.
- Passion for coaching others – directly and indirectly – and developing team capabilities
- Ability to push yourself and your partners out of their comfort zone in a healthy manner.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; demonstrated ability to effectively communicate complex concepts to cross functional partners
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; comfortable speaking to a diverse group of people and leading conversations to discover research insights.
- A strong ability to tell compelling stories from data.
- Comfortable within ambiguity with the ability to prioritize; demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects (both small and large) and adjust to changing priorities
- Strong project management skills – experience managing multiple projects at various stages in the project life cycle.
- Experience running, recruiting, moderating and analysis of online panels and thinking strategically about their application.
- Proficient in Powerpoint, Outlook, Word and other MS Office software.
- Expertise in video editing software.
- 4-year degree in Anthropology, Social Science, Design Research, Psychology or related field
- Experience in Lean UX Research methods, including remote moderated & unmoderated testing, online & in-context (store) intercepts.
- Demonstrated understanding of accessibility user testing using assistive technologies.
What’s it like to work here? We’re asked that a lot. Target respects and values the individuality of all team members and guests—and we have lots of fun in all that we do.experience our culture