Director Responsible Sourcing SustainabilityApply Now Job ID: R0000117690 job family: Responsible Sourcing schedule: Full time Location: 33 S 6th St, Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States, 55402-3601;
DIRECTOR RESPONSIBLE SOURCING & SUSTAINABILITY
Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company and one of America’s leading retailers.
Target Merchandising is evolving at an incredible pace. We are constantly reimagining how this $70 billion retailer offers the innovative, guest-inspiring items that Target is known and loved for. Our goal is to deliver exceptional value, quality and style to elevate Target as the premier retailer in a competitive global marketplace. Through intelligent and progressive business strategies that make the most of Target’s resources and partnerships worldwide, Merchandising works across product categories to create a localized shopping experience online and in our 1800 stores. Are you a creative problem solver who loves to see your work translate into real results? Can you collaborate effectively, execute a plan efficiently and positively influence how Target chooses and presents the right product in the right place at the right price? If so, you will have success on one of our dynamic teams.
A role in Sourcing means having a hand in developing products that have a positive impact on people and the planet. We integrate our sourcing capabilities with our propensity for quality and social responsibility to positively impact the cost and quality of our products. We care about the lives of the people who make the products Target guests love, and we’re mindful of the impact our manufacturing practices have on the environment. In Sourcing, you’ll apply your apparel and accessories and/or home goods expertise to promote and apply responsible sourcing practices while driving the success and growth of Target’s owned brands. The Sourcing team starts at the very earliest stages of product development, builds out the costing models and tracks where product stands at every step in the production cycle, from overseas shipping to our import warehouses, distribution centers and stores. And since Target is indeed a global company, you’ll be part of the team that manages global relationships in partnership with the buying team who shop for trends all over the world. Your ability to stay aware of our suppliers’ activities will help ensure compliance with responsible practices, and you’ll have influence over which manufacturers Target chooses to work with. You’ll be a close point-of-contact with Target team members in sourcing offices located in 20 countries around the globe, and you’ll support their work as liaisons among buyers, product developers and overseas partners.
As the Director of Responsible Sourcing and Sustainability-Social, you will drive the strategy and develop programs that address opportunities that will establish Target as an industry leader that goes beyond compliance to address key challenges relating to social issues. You will lead the team that is responsible for defining and activating Target’s social public facing goals within the enterprise and working with the responsible sourcing oversight and remediation as well as the business integration and capability building teams to elevate and influence the business partner matrix. You will build critical working partnerships across the enterprise in order to enable cross-functional collaboration identify business interdependencies and needs to influence business strategies to accelerate positive impact for people across the globe, enable sustainable business growth, be a catalyst for change and inspire others to do more.
- Review current methodologies to monitoring, impact and evaluation protocols and innovate to ensure alignment with work relating to Target’s integrated profit and loss methodology
- Advocate and influence external multi-stakeholder initiatives in alignment with Target’s RS & Sustainability strategic priorities
- Undertake baseline analysis of wage gaps and develop gender equity strategy for the manufacturing supply chain
- Proven experience in leading RS/sustainability supply chain initiatives with a global footprint
- Demonstrated ability to influence key stakeholders including government, civil society and supply chain partners on political and social sustainability issues such as wages, regulatory reforms etc
- Demonstrated ability to manage conflict and deal with high stress environments
- Proven success in rapidly assessing strategic opportunities and driving scalable results in a timely fashion
- Drive initiatives and results that meet Owned Brand and enterprise goals across all product categories within the purview of Responsible Sourcing.
- Provide proactive holistic sustainability insights to the organization to drive systemic change and continuous improvement.
- Leverage data, analytics and reporting to provide guidance to support business decisions and inform purchasing practices.
- Build coalitions and drive scalable initiatives in collaboration with others.
- Build strategic and meaningful networks of relationships with external organizations including other brands, NGOs, consultants and international organizations to position Target as an informed industry leader and progressive force for good.
- Build a diverse and talented team and be an inclusive leader.
- 4 year college degree or equivalent work experience
- 10 + years’ experience in environmental sustainability, labor or human rights work
- Minimum 5 years in leadership capacity with similar operational scope and complexity
- Ability to communicate to all levels of management internally and to Sr. Management of vendor partners with diverse cultural backgrounds
- Ability to analyze information to drive business decisions, manage project plans and resources
- Strong sense of urgency
- Strong organizational, written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong strategic and conceptual thinking and ability to plan, organize and execute.
- Strong leadership, performance and change management skills
- Comfortable taking risks, driving change and supporting creativity
- International and domestic travel required
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.
What’s it like to work here? We’re asked that a lot. Target respects and values the individuality of all team members and guests—and we have lots of fun in all that we do.experience our culture