Director Sourcing-1Apply Now Location: 1000 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States, 55403-2542; job id: R0000233991
job family: Retail Sourcing
schedule: Full time
Target is an iconic, beloved and well recognized brand, a Fortune 50 company and one of America’s leading retailers.
Target Merchandising is evolving at an incredible pace. We are constantly reimagining how this $70 billion retailer offers the innovative, guest-inspiring items that Target is known and loved for. Our goal is to deliver exceptional value, quality and style to elevate Target as the premier retailer in a competitive global marketplace. Through intelligent and progressive business strategies that make the most of Target’s resources and partnerships worldwide, Merchandising works across product categories to create a localized shopping experience online and in our 1800 stores. Are you a creative problem solver who loves to see your work translate into real results? Can you collaborate effectively, execute a plan efficiently and positively influence how Target chooses and presents the right product in the right place at the right price? If so, you will have success on one of our dynamic teams.
A role in Sourcing means having a hand in developing products that have a positive impact on people and the planet. We integrate our sourcing capabilities with our propensity for quality and social responsibility to positively impact the cost and quality of our products. We care about the lives of the people who make the products Target guests love, and we’re mindful of the impact our manufacturing practices have on the environment. Your industry knowledge and ability to stay aware of our suppliers’ activities will help ensure compliance with responsible practices, and you’ll have key influence over which manufacturers Target chooses to work with.
As Director of Sourcing, you will lead the strategy and team that will deliver outstanding owned-brand products to our guests by leveraging proximity, innovation and vendor partnerships in the Western Hemisphere source base. You will be responsible for building a world-class sourcing and business partner strategy that elevates performance, boosts profit, drives speed to market and delivers on sustainability commitments, including diversifying the domestic vendor base. You will develop a diverse team with deep domestic supply chain & costing knowledge and negotiation skills, and an understanding of key manufacturing/quality processes. You will elevate vendor and production capabilities and bolster the domestic supply ecosystem by developing strategies that maximize vendor capability across design, formulation, packaging, sustainability and supply chain. You will optimize efficiency within the supply chain and drive innovation for the future. Critical to the role is building strong and influential relationships with Product Operations, Product Development and Brand Management, Merchants, Planning, Responsible Sourcing & Sustainability, Quality Assurance and global sourcing teams to deliver on owned-brand business goals.
Develop long-term and short-term sourcing strategies to support overall business growth focused on driving the OB Western Hemisphere business
Establish and optimize key vendor matrix, incorporating strategies to maximize By-the-Vendor operations
Build and maintain strong partnership with vendors to optimize performance on cost, service, speed, quality & sustainability
Manage manufacturing capacity assessment and operational & quality performance with factory partners
Research and analyze both global and in-country market trends and business intelligence to identify opportunities, suggest solutions and lead/drive local and global initiatives.
Build, inspire and develop a high-performing team with agility and lead the team through changes effectively
Strengthen relationship with HQ partners and cross functional teams to ensure program goals accomplishments and value creation in the supply chain
Additional responsibilities include:
1. Strategic Planning - Build innovative, visionary and strategic 1-3 year roadmaps for sourcing that align with merchandising and design strategies. Set challenging goals & objectives, identify metrics and measures progress, and deliver results.
2. Inclusive Leadership – Develop a diverse world-class team providing development, coaching, motivation, support and feedback to team members. Create a positive atmosphere of teamwork, inclusion and collaboration.
3. Financial Results – Lead the team to deliver on margin goals and drive financial results for the business. Through creative thought leadership, help teams build negotiation plans and understand varied negotiation levers to optimize value and outcomes across multiple business categories. Understand financials of business and creatively influences balancing cost, quality and efficiency to improve sales and profitability, and drive best value.
4. Global/Business Partner Planning – Have a strong understanding of the broader economic landscape, with a focus on the Americas, at both country of production and vendor/factory matrix levels. Capable of synthesizing knowledge of domestic and global landscape and business strategies to develop a global/vendor matrix plan that meets current sourcing needs, and positions the business for optimal results in future landscapes.
5. Cross-Functional Leadership – Build collaborative partnerships across multiple functions within headquarters and global sourcing offices. Quickly identify business interdependencies and needs and influences business strategy and plans.
Core responsibilities of this job are described within this job description. Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.
• Four-year college degree or equivalent experiences
• 8-12+ years of relevant work experience; essentials category experience desired
• Demonstrated experience in strategic & cross-functional leadership, planning and execution
• Leading and problem solving in ambiguous, nuanced business environment
• Respect, appreciate and value diverse voices and approaches
• Committed to creating equitable experiences, building and fostering an inclusive team
• Experience driving results across multiple, varied categories of business
• Ability to work in a fast paced, high growth environment and multi-task
• Demonstrated experience in team development and leadership
• Ability to build and leverage strong cross-organizational relationships
• Strong analytical and quantitative skills
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to travel as needed
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.
What’s it like to work here? We’re asked that a lot. Target respects and values the individuality of all team members and guests—and we have lots of fun in all that we do.experience our culture