Engineering & Facilities Lead Systems EngineerApply Now Job ID: R0000136294 job family: Building Operations Engineering schedule: Full time Location: 33 S 6th St, Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States, 55402-3601;
Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company and one of America’s leading retailers
Target Global Supply Chain and Logistics is evolving at an incredible pace. We are constantly reimagining how we get the right product to the guest even better, faster and more cost effectively than before. We are becoming more intelligent, automated and algorithmic in our decision-making, so that no matter how guests shop—in stores or on Target.com—we deliver the convenience and immediate gratification they demand and deserve. We are on a mission to win decisively over any competitor, with a seamless and superior guest service experience unlike any they can offer. Our teams work with the agility our mission requires, and we constantly come together to implement new processes in record time. So we’re looking for exceptional people who are proactive, creative, independent, innovative, risk-savvy and comfortable working in varying degrees of ambiguity. Are you a critical thinker who seeks the root cause and can analyze both qualitatively and quantitatively? Are you a creative problem-solver who simplifies problems, quickly identifies solutions, commits to a plan and then positively influences others to execute it? If so, you will have success on one of our dynamic teams.
A role in HQ Engineering and Activation means being at the heart of our perpetual reimagining process. This group is the think tank and laboratory for the innovative ideas that spark change throughout the Supply Chain. We are inventors, metrics masters, data geeks, testers, triers, course-correctors and askers of the all-important question: “What if …?”. This team influences processes, engineers the robotics and automation to support those processes, activates solutions sustainably across the network and manages those assets. Your specific expertise—whether it’s people, process, technology, or data—will be felt well beyond the boundaries of the Supply Chain organization, positively impacting Target team members and guests alike.
About the job:
As a Lead Systems Engineer, you play a proactive technical leadership role, ensuring high equipment availability and optimized system performance. You will provide strategic direction to drive system reliability through proactive risk assessments, capital plan development, cross-department technical support collaboration, technical talent development, senior leadership advisement, and you will influence building automation, continuous improvement, and new installation initiatives. You will serve as the highest level of support, driving rapid troubleshooting of equipment during downtime events, ensuring proper processes and training procedures are implemented as part of root cause analysis. Your indirect leadership of the Engineering and Facilities Senior Systems Engineers, Operations Managers, and Mechanics is critical to ensuring a strong reliability culture. You serve as an expert who understands material flow optimization, system controls logic, and facilitates and trains effective troubleshooting techniques.
A successful candidate in this role will:
- Maintain expertise across all electrical, mechanical and control system communication aspects of Material Handling Equipment (MHE), including but not limited to conveyor systems, sortation systems, robotics, and/or Automated Storage and Retrieval Systems (ASRS)
- Oversee a network of distribution centers, serving as a technical subject matter expert that can lead recovery efforts and provide effective troubleshooting during equipment downtime events.
- Provide incident communication and promote timely escalation to Controls/Equipment Engineers, Target Technology Services, and vendor resources to support recovery efforts
- Lead root cause analysis and incident review processes to eliminate future reoccurrences of downtime events. Ensure appropriate steps are taken to document incidents fully and accurately.
- Seek proactive actions to reduce unplanned downtime events within assigned region and the broader network
- Autonomously manage assigned support network and influence field and headquarters partners to drive equipment performance and reliability improvements.
- In collaboration with Sr Leadership, help shape Target’s future vision and strategy for sustainable support and supply chain reliability. Define necessary data needed to assess equipment performance and measure maintenance quality.
- Provide technical leadership to Senior Systems Engineers (SSEs) and Engineering & Facilities Sr. Operations Managers (E&F SOMs) to help develop and retain technical leaders within Distribution for Target.
- Lead SSE technical training and development strategy in alignment with distribution and E&F leadership teams.
- Perform technical phone screens for potential SSE candidates.
- Conduct Material Handling Assessments to evaluate equipment performance and risk. Present results to site and distribution leadership team, and assist the SSEs with developing action plans for improvement in equipment maintenance based upon findings.
- Provide guidance regarding technical issues and projects to Target’s technical supply chain teams. Recommend and help implement process improvements.
- Assist Target partners in writing technical documentation (safety protocols, best practices, and processes).
- Manage, pilot, or support projects and continuous improvement initiatives as needed.
- Develop long-term technical support models and lead transition strategies for advanced automation initiatives and network-wide systems upgrades and implementations.
- Communicate cross-commodity technical learnings and process improvements to network in support of pyramid supply chain safety, reliability, and improvement initiatives.
- Establish and maintain strong relationship with supply chain technical teams to ensure collaboration and common technical support best practices between GSCL and other technical support teams.
- Bachelor’s or Associate’s Degree in Electrical or Controls Engineering or equivalent degree / experience
- Experience with automated material handling system technical support
- Advanced expertise in supply chain automation systems
- Extensive experience in the following areas:
- Automated conveyor systems and controls
- Work order management
- Preventive/predictive maintenance procedures
- Blueprint and schematic reading
- Industrial Electrical
- HMI interfaces and programming
- Industrial Controls
- Industrial Electronics
- Programmable Logic Control (PLC) programs
- Server based controls
- National Electrical Code (NEC)
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, relating both technical and leadership communications to a range of audiences
- Strong reasoning, analytical, and problem solving skills
- Proven ability to motivate and influence teams, as well as manage conflict under stressful conditions
- Ability to interpret and understand policies and procedures and relate them to others
- Strong knowledge of common industrial safety practices and expectations, including experience with arc flash safety programs
- Capability to be on-call outside of normal business hours for escalated support
- Ability to travel 25% or more
- Role can be based near any distribution/fulfillment center in the US
- Systems controls design or programming experience
- Systems integration experience
- Field service engineering experience
- Systems trainer or training experience
- Experience supporting a wide range of different conveyors and sortation systems
- Proven history of remote technical phone support for multiple facilities
- Experience with advanced automation
- Project management experience
- Experience leading technical teams
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.
What’s it like to work here? We’re asked that a lot. Target respects and values the individuality of all team members and guests—and we have lots of fun in all that we do.experience our culture