Lead Controls Engineer – Material Handling TeamApply Now Job ID: R0000067979 schedule: Full time Location: 33 South 6th Street, Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States, 55402-3601;
Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company and one of America’s leading retailers
Target Global Supply Chain and Logistics is evolving at an incredible pace. We are constantly reimagining how we get the right product to the guest even better, faster and more cost effectively than before. We are becoming more intelligent, automated and algorithmic in our decision-making, so that no matter how guests shop—in stores or on Target.com—we deliver the convenience and immediate gratification they demand and deserve. We are on a mission to win decisively over any competitor, with a seamless and superior guest service experience unlike any they can offer. Our teams work with the agility our mission requires, and we constantly come together to implement new processes in record time. So we’re looking for exceptional people who are proactive, creative, independent, innovative, risk-savvy and comfortable working in varying degrees of ambiguity. Are you a critical thinker who seeks the root cause and can analyze both qualitatively and quantitatively? Are you a creative problem-solver who simplifies problems, quickly identifies solutions, commits to a plan and then positively influences others to execute it? If so, you will have success on one of our dynamic teams.
A role in HQ Engineering and Activation means being at the heart of our perpetual reimagining. This group is the think tank and laboratory for the innovative ideas that spark change throughout the Supply Chain. We are inventors, metrics masters, data geeks, testers, triers, course-correctors and askers of the all-important question “What if … ?”. This team influences processes, engineers the robotics and automation to support those processes, activates solutions sustainably across the network and manages those assets. Your specific expertise—whether it’s people, process, technology, or data—will be felt well beyond the boundaries of the Supply Chain organization, positively impacting Target team members and guests alike.
As a Lead Controls Engineer you will support Target’s Global Supply Chain network of 40 different Distribution, Fulfillment, and Omni-channel facilities by effectively managing automated material handling assets across the enterprise. This role ensures optimal levels of reliability, efficiency, and business value of our assets to support Target’s Global Supply Chain & Logistics business objectives (current state and future state). This includes managing a combination of assets that have been running for years as well as new systems that are early in their adoption within Target.
Responsibilities of this role include:
- Maintaining working relationships with the operations and maintenance teams running the equipment within the distribution centers.
- Developing maintenance operational expense budgets for each equipment category, tracking spend rates, and seeking to understand changes in spend.
- Shaping multi-year plans to forecast scope, timing, and cost of capital expenditure projects, planning them, justifying their expense, and implementing them through collaboration with internal design, construction, and activation teams as well as external vendors.
- Understanding the evolving needs of each asset type while considering quality, reliability, maintenance, total cost of ownership, lifecycle planning, and system obsolescence risk mitigation.
- Understanding the roles of each equipment vendor, managing technical relationships with them, leveraging established business agreements with them, and holding them accountable to deliver on expectations while also shaping future expectations.
- Partnering with operational process planning teams to mesh the technical capabilities of the equipment with the current and future business needs of each site’s operational execution team.
- Connecting to various data sources, analyzing that data, and using it to drive decisions regarding OpEx, CapEx, and operational process execution decisions.
- Using expert machinery knowledge and strong problem solving skills to periodically assist other teams in trouble shooting system issues (both short term break/fix and longer term problem resolution).
- Developing and periodically updating overall asset management plans to shape asset maintenance schedules, job plans, and asset management system records.
- Supporting and driving projects to ensure appropriate levels of safety and regulatory compliance.
- Communicating with a wide range of teams from maintenance personnel to senior level leadership, listening to and acting upon feedback from those teams, and crafting messages to define problems, propose solutions, and address questions.
Candidate must be comfortable primarily working within a team office environment and also periodically traveling to distribution center locations within the U.S. to interact more closely with the managed assets and the local support teams.
Examples of managed automated material handling assets may include but are not limited to:
- PLC hardware and software
- Electrical power and control devices
- Compact unit sortation systems
- Large loop sortation systems
- Unit picking systems
- Individual customer order fulfillment systems
- Case and pallet conveyor systems
- Industrial controls and safety systems
- Print and apply systems
- Barcode scanners
Core responsibilities of this job are described within this job description. Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.
- Four-year degree in engineering or a four-year degree and equivalent experience
- 5 or more years of Engineering, Logistics, Supply Chain, or facilities management experience
- Ability to effectively collaborate with and influence numerous internal and external partners
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to view a process and understand the various human and mechanical factors influencing it
- Strong foundation of mathematical/analytical principles
- Highly proficient in independent problem solving, creating plans, and delivering results
- Ability to multi-task a wide variety of requests and tasks, confidently shifting and reprioritizing work based on effort, risk, impact, and customer needs
- Desire to learn new capabilities and enable others to do the same
- Poise and confidence in challenging situations
- Ability to listen to diverse agendas and negotiate Win-Win solutions that drive long-term business value for Target
- Ability to use technical knowledge to develop and propose specific solutions to problems
- Willing to take risks, challenge the status quo and work under ambiguous circumstances
- Up to 15% work travel
- Experience with industrial control systems
- Experience creating reports with Tableau, Splunk, DOMO or similar.
- Project management experience and/or certification
- Experience using Six Sigma DMAIC or other problem solving or process improvement methodologies
- Financial planning experience (OpEx and CapEx budget development)
- Experience with Maximo or comparable Enterprise Asset Management application
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.
What’s it like to work here? We’re asked that a lot. Target respects and values the individuality of all team members and guests—and we have lots of fun in all that we do.experience our culture