Lead Controls Engineer - MHT
Supply Chain Engineering: Lead Controls Engineer – Material Handling Team
Supply Chain and Logistics
Target Global Supply Chain and Logistics is evolving at an incredible pace. We are constantly reimagining how we get the right product to the guest even better, faster and more cost effectively than before. We are becoming more intelligent, automated and algorithmic in our decision-making, so that no matter how guests shop—in stores or on Target.com—we deliver the convenience and immediate gratification they demand and deserve. We are on a mission to win decisively over any competitor, with a seamless and superior guest service experience unlike any they can offer. Our teams work with the agility our mission requires, and we constantly come together to implement new processes in record time. So we’re looking for exceptional people who are proactive, creative, independent, innovative, risk-savvy and comfortable working in varying degrees of ambiguity. Are you a critical thinker who seeks the root cause and can analyze both qualitatively and quantitatively? Are you a creative problem-solver who simplifies problems, quickly identifies solutions, commits to a plan and then positively influences others to execute it? If so, you will have success on one of our dynamic teams.
HQ Engineering and Activation
A role in HQ Engineering and Activation means being at the heart of our perpetual reimagining. This group is the think tank and laboratory for the innovative ideas that spark change throughout the Supply Chain. We are inventors, metrics masters, data geeks, testers, triers, course-correctors and askers of the all-important question “What if … ?”. This team influences processes, engineers the robotics and automation to support those processes, activates solutions sustainably across the network and manages those assets. Your specific expertise—whether it’s people, process, technology, or data—will be felt well beyond the boundaries of the Supply Chain organization, positively impacting Target team members and guests alike.
This role supports Target’s Global Supply Chain network of 40 different Distribution, Fulfillment, and Omni-channel facilities by effectively managing automated material handling controls assets across the entire enterprise. It ensures optimal levels of reliability, efficiency, and business value of our assets to support Target’s Global Supply Chain & Logistics business objectives (current state and future state).
This role has three “must have” sets of attributes:
Advanced proficiency in working with data Strong Lean Thinking and Structured Problem Solving skill sets Enterprise Asset Management and Maintenance responsibilities
Important components to these attributes are listed below.
- Advanced proficiency in working with data
- The ability to source and consume data from a variety of systems/databases/applications (internal and external)
- Confidence in working with manufacturing and automation equipment.
- Track record of creating various data tools, models, and simulations
- Ability to be a main facilitator of both business requirements and technical/data requirements (understand business needs/drivers and develop/deliver the right insights from the data)
- Strong Lean Thinking and Structured Problem Solving skill sets
- Ability to design/redesign a process to eliminate waste and streamline processes for all buildings across our network. The scope also would include working with processes that involve external vendors.
- Strong proficiency in problem statement creation
- Comfortable communicating and challenging senior level leaders, explaining the logical breakdown of a problem, and proposing detailed solutions
- Familiar with tools such as Fishbone, RCA, A3 problem solving, FMEA, DOE, and confidence to facilitate application of these tools without support from other experts
- Asset Management and Maintenance responsibilities
- Develop and monitor a Maintenance strategy and plan for your assets to ensure predictable and acceptable levels of performance throughout the asset’s lifespan (including but not limited to creating Preventative Maintenance schedules, Job Plan instructions, Work Order execution, Problem/Cause/Remedy, Regulatory Compliance oversight, equipment safety, and work order execution)
- Strong analytic thought leadership around predictive analytics, root cause analysis, and statistical modeling to support proper management of assets, Quality, Reliability, Maintenance, Total Cost of Ownership, and Lifecycle planning
- Development and oversight of the Global Supply Chain network’s maintenance Operational Expenditure (OpEx) and Capital Expenditure (CapEx) budgets for your affected assets
- Develop strong partnerships with internal partners and with equipment and technology vendors to ensure they deliver effective systems, projects, and support
- Vendor management responsibilities can include Vendor Business Reviews, performance management discussions, contract development, and owning the scope of work with your vendors
- Partner with various levels of field leaders across our entire Global Supply Chain network to develop, implement, and execute projects or ongoing support initiatives
Examples of managed automated material handling controls assets may include but are not limited to:
- PLC hardware and software
- Control Cabinets
- HMI systems
- Motor drives
- Switches and Sensors
- Overcurrent and Overload protection
- Wiring and Cabling
- Safety related components such as E-Stops, presence sensors, etc.
Core responsibilities of this job are described within this job description. Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field or a Bachelor’s degree and equivalent experience
- 5 or more years of Logistics, Supply Chain, Electrical Engineering, or facilities management experience
- Experience with industrial control systems
- Ability to effectively collaborate with and influence numerous internal and external partners
- Strong foundation of mathematical/analytical principles
- Highly proficient in solving problems independently, creating plans, and delivering results
- Ability to multitask and prioritize a wide variety of requests, tasks, and projects, confidently shifting and reprioritizing work based on effort, risk, impact, and customer needs
- Desire to learn new capabilities and enable others to do the same
- Willing to take risks, challenge the status quo, and work under ambiguous circumstances
- Up to 15% work travel
- Experience creating reports with Splunk, Tableau, DOMO or similar
- Project management experience and/or certification
- Quality or Reliability Engineering experience (ASQ certifications)
- Lean Six Sigma or other Quality Control/Management systems
- Financial planning experience (OpEx and CapEx budget development)
- Experience with Maximo 7.x or comparable Enterprise Asset Management application
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.
What’s it like to work here? We’re asked that a lot. Target respects and values the individuality of all team members and guests—and we have lots of fun in all that we do.experience our culture