Lead Experience DesignerApply Now Job ID: R0000060688 schedule: Full time Location: 33 South 6th Street, Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States, 55402-3601;
Target’s New Ventures & Accelerators group is a multi-disciplinary team located in Target’s HQ location in Minneapolis, in downtown San Francisco and in Target India’s Bangalore office. Our diverse team brings together team members from many backgrounds, disciplines and industries. The New Ventures team challenges ourselves and our partners to move quickly to take concept to in-market experiment and accelerate insights on behalf of the enterprise. Our Accelerator team brings the strength and expertise of Target together to make Target the preferred retail partner for startups.
The Design and Research Team in New Ventures & Accelerators is responsible for rapid experimentation, empathy-building and validation of new business concepts across all surfaces and touchpoints. We utilize design-thinking methodologies and prototyping in every medium, alongside guest and team member research to provide recommendations on future strategies for Target. We also partner with Target’s Startup Accelerator programs to elevate entrepreneurship and partnership opportunities through our skills, both in craft and education.
The Designer role is a key partner to several functions in the group including researchers, engineers, and business partners. Activities range from brainstorming and ideation, facilitation and sketching and low fidelity prototyping of any touchpoint to higher fidelity interactive prototypes and guest-facing tests in market.
Utilizing every method in your design toolbox you will craft innovative experiences and create powerful stories that not only help shape recommendations for what’s next for Target, but also influence the world of modern retail.
The Lead Experience Designer:
You are a strong design leader with passion in multiple mediums – digital, physical and experiential. What you aren’t an expert in yet doesn’t intimidate you as you’re ready to learn. You have a strong passion for user-centered design and would love to create new, unique interactions in retail. Qualified candidates will balance user needs, design best practices, and business goals to deliver amazing experiences.
You are able to independently drive and facilitate work with a project team through rapid experimentation and validation in many mediums. Deliverables include all phases from concept and design to validation, which could be guest facing in limited markets. Deliverables may include user journey storyboarding, sketching, rapid prototyping, mockups, wireframes, and design guidelines across physical and digital media.
You will be hands on in the making, while able to direct and delegate portions of work when applicable with other designers and partners.
Use your skills, experience and talents to be a part of groundbreaking thinking and visionary goals. Take the lead as you…
- Drive and facilitate design discovery work: generate new concept ideas and hypotheses, rapidly prototype and test out those ideas, support and conduct research, pivot quickly to new directions.
- Develop high level and/or detailed storyboards, sketches or mockups. Prototype and/or direct physical prototypes for concept validation that effectively communicate interaction and design ideas.
- Partner with our researchers and teams across the enterprise to obtain key insights and synthesize those insights to shape our experiences.
- Follow through on concepts and experiments: create documents and assets to support socialization of the work through decks, pitches and stakeholder engagements.
- Create Experience strategy that connects business strategy, guest research and insights, human behavior, technical feasibility and design.
- Effectively communicate conceptual ideas, detailed designs, and design rationale both verbally and visually.
- Show passion, optimism and drive and be able to move forward without all the answers.
- Proactively seek out opportunities to learn and stay current with latest tools, tech, style and graphic trends.
- Seek out and welcome feedback from peers and partners across the team. Engage in providing and receiving feedback on the work.
- Collaborate wildly well with others in a variety of roles across the enterprise.
- Takes independent action and initiative to meet established goals and vision for team and experiences.
- Mentor others on the team and uphold brand and quality standards in all projects produced by team or partners.
- Bachelors in Graphic Design, Fine Arts, HCI, CS, New Media, Creative Writing or for a related field or equivalent working experience.
- A portfolio that demonstrates your ability to design experiences that span from digital to physical.
- Attitude and ability towards continuous learning and improvement, continuously prototyping and rapidly iterating on concepts.
- Experience working in rapid and changing environments, comfort with ambiguity and self-prioritization.
- Experience in Lean UX methods, including remote moderated & unmoderated testing, online & in-context intercepts either individually or with partnership from research partner.
- Expert with standard design and prototyping tools (Adobe, Sketch, InVision, etc.).
- Demonstrated affinity and appreciation towards a strong, clean visual design sensibility.
- Genuine curiosity about people, experiences, emerging technologies.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; demonstrated ability to effectively communicate complex concepts to cross functional partners.
- 7+ years of experience in design and creative with emphasis in concept creation and customer experience design.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.
What’s it like to work here? We’re asked that a lot. Target respects and values the individuality of all team members and guests—and we have lots of fun in all that we do.experience our culture