Lead Paralegal, Real EstateApply Now Job ID: R0000059095 schedule: Full time Location: 33 South 6th Street, Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States, 55402-3601;
LEAD PARALEGAL, Real Estate
Date: November 2019
Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company, and one of America’s leading retailers.
Target Legal Affairs is a dynamic and deeply knowledgeable team of legal professionals, each with valuable expertise from several disciplines. This team advocates for Target and its business in communities across the nation and works across the entire company to provide internal business partners with business and legal advice. Here, you’ll enjoy working autonomously with a healthy work-life balance. Your passion for learning our business and building relationships with leaders and key business partners will be essential to tackling the ever-changing legal challenges we face in a dynamic and fast-paced retail landscape.
Within Target Legal Affairs, the Real Estate team provides value-added, sophisticated legal support to Target Properties in acquiring, protecting and disposing of Target’s real estate assets. In the role of Lead Paralegal, Real Estate, your role will include:
Leading Title and Survey Reviews. You will work autonomously to investigate title and survey, including identifying risks, conducting research, and working directly with internal business partners, the Real Estate team attorneys, external vendors and adverse external legal professionals to solve any identified issues. In addition, you’ll work with the attorneys and paralegals within the Real Estate team to develop and revise internal procedures, policies, and guidelines with respect to title insurance policy and endorsement coverages and costs.
Managing Closings. You will proactively engage with the attorneys on the Real Estate team, business partners in and supporting Target Properties, title companies and other external vendors, and opposing legal professionals to prepare, review, approve and execute real estate closings. You will prepare, analyze and negotiate ancillary closing and post-closing documents, prepare internal post-closing memoranda and ensure all final closing documents are delivered to the relevant business partners within Target Properties.
Reviewing, Interpreting, and Drafting Documents. You will review and interpret commercial real estate documents, identify legal and business issues and recommend solutions to attorneys on the Real Estate team and internal business partners. You will also draft and negotiate various legal documents used in connection with our new stores, existing stores and corporate real estate matters including site acquisitions, leasing, and dispositions.
Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.
- Four-year college degree; Paralegal Certificate preferred
- 5-10+ years of commercial real estate transactional experience including title and survey review and negotiating and drafting a wide variety of commercial real estate agreements in a law firm and/or corporate law department setting
- Detail-oriented and possessing excellent written, communication and analytical skills
- Task-oriented with an excellent sense of prioritization; highly organized with the ability to work independently, to manage multiple projects, and to work well under pressure. Must be able to manage time efficiently and to handle conflicting time demands and focus on timely task completion with little direction or oversight
- High level of curiosity, self-motivation, initiative and organization, with the ability to be resilient and adaptable to risk, uncertainty, and changing directions, and to seek out assistance and advice from others when needed
- Comfortable asking questions and making specific recommendations in ambiguous situations
- Flexible team player and comfortable working and collaborating with individuals at all levels within, and outside of, the organization
- Able to establish and maintain effective and trusted relationships with both internal and external partners
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, SharePoint, OneDrive, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.
What’s it like to work here? We’re asked that a lot. Target respects and values the individuality of all team members and guests—and we have lots of fun in all that we do.experience our culture