Lead UI Engineer - Target Application Platform (TAP)Apply Now Job ID: R0000085139 job family: Technology Engineering schedule: Full time Location: 33 South 6th Street, Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States, 55402-3601;
LEAD UI ENGINEER
Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company and one of America’s leading retailers.
Target as a tech company? Absolutely. We’re the behind-the-scenes powerhouse that fuels Target’s passion and commitment to cutting-edge innovation. We anchor every facet of one of the world’s best-loved retailers with a strong technology framework that relies on the latest tools and technologies—and the brightest people—to deliver incredible value to guests online and in stores. Target Technology Services is on a mission to offer the systems, tools and support that guests and team members need and deserve. Our high-performing teams balance independence with collaboration, and we pride ourselves on being versatile, agile and creative. We drive industry-leading technologies in support of every angle of the business, and help ensure that Target operates smoothly, securely and reliably from the inside out.
As a lead engineer, you serve as the technical anchor for the engineering team that supports a product. You create, own and are responsible for the application architecture that best serves the product in its functional and non-functional needs. You identify and drive architectural changes to accelerate feature development or improve the quality of service (or both). You have deep and broad engineering skills and are capable of standing up an architecture in its whole on your own, but you choose to influence a wider team by acting as a “force multiplier”. Core responsibilities of this job are described within this job description. Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.
Use your skills, experience and talents to be a part of groundbreaking thinking and visionary goals. As a Lead Engineer, you’ll take the lead as you…
Use your technology acumen to apply and maintain knowledge of current and emerging technologies within specialized area(s) of the technology domain. Evaluate new technologies and participates in decision-making, accounting for several factors such as viability within Target’s technical environment, maintainability, and cost of ownership. Initiate and execute research and proof-of-concept activities for new technologies. Lead or set strategy for testing and debugging at the platform or enterprise level. In complex and unstructured situations, serve as an expert resource to create and improve standards and best practices to ensure high-performance, scalable, repeatable, and secure deliverables. Lead the design, lifecycle management, and total cost of ownership of services. Provide the team with thought leadership to promote re-use and develop consistent, scalable patterns. Participate in planning services that have enterprise impact. Provide suggestions for handling routine and moderately complex technical problems, escalating issues when appropriate. Gather information, data, and input from a wide variety of sources; identify additional resources when appropriate, engage with appropriate stakeholders, and conduct in-depth analysis of information. Provide suggestions for handling routine and moderately complex technical problems, escalating issues when appropriate. Develop plans and schedules, estimate resource requirements, and define milestones and deliverables. Monitor workflow and risks; play a leadership role in mitigating risks and removing obstacles. Lead and participate in complex construction, automation, and implementation activities, ensuring successful implementation with architectural and operational requirements met. Establish new standards and best practices to monitor, test, automate, and maintain IT components or systems. Serve as an expert resource in disaster recovery and disaster recovery planning. Stay current with Target’s technical capabilities, infrastructure, and technical environment. Develop fully attributed data models, including logical, physical, and canonical. Influence data standards, policies, and procedures. Install, configure, and/or tune data management solutions with minimal guidance. Monitor data management solution(s) and identify optimization opportunities
- 4 year degree or equivalent experience
- 7+ years of software development experience with at least one full cycle implementation
- Demonstrates strong domain-specific knowledge regarding Target’s technology capabilities, and key competitors’ products and differentiating features
- Demonstrates broad and deep expertise in multiple computer languages and frameworks (e.g., open source). Designs, develops, and approves end-to-end functionality of a product line, platform, or infrastructure
- Communicates and coordinates with project team, partners, and stakeholders
- Demonstrates expertise in analysis and optimization of systems capacity, performance, and operational health
- Understands and develops solutions to foster data lifecycle management
- Maintains deep technical knowledge within areas of expertise
- Stays current with new and evolving technologies via formal training and self-directed education
- Experience in building highly scalable distributed systems
- Lead and work as part of a team to help ensure the timely delivery of high quality, secure, standards-compliant, accessible and browser compatible interactive projects
- Strategize, define, and implement team processes, policies, procedures and best practices
- Create technical documentation and functional specifications for interactive projects
- Engage and collaborate with server side development, UX, project management and international teams
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.
What’s it like to work here? We’re asked that a lot. Target respects and values the individuality of all team members and guests—and we have lots of fun in all that we do.experience our culture