Manager, Grassroots AdvocacyApply Now Job ID: R0000039424 Date posted: 08/14/2019 schedule: Full time Location: 33 South 6th Street, Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States, 55402-3601;
Manager, Grassroots Advocacy
Date: August 2019
Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company and one of America’s leading retailers.
To match the signature style and passion of Target’s distinctive and beloved retail brand, Target Legal Affairs is a dynamic and deeply knowledgeable team of legal pros, each with valuable expertise from several disciplines. Whether specializing in government affairs, policy, risk management, regulatory compliance, ethics or employee and labor relations, this team advocates for Target and its business plans in communities across the nation and works across the entire company to provide internal clients with cohesive guidance. We are committed to being internal experts to both internal and external entities on key issues that affect Target’s ability to productively do business. We focus on defining, investigating, anticipating and ultimately mitigating risk in all its forms. We apply our grasp of brand law by overseeing, maintaining and ensuring correct, consistent and authorized use of Target’s signature Bullseye logo, assets and other trademarked material. We help protect Target and its subsidiaries by applying our comprehensive understanding and interpretation of the laws that govern our stores, distribution centers and corporate locations. Here, you’ll enjoy working autonomously with a healthy work-life balance. Your passion for learning the business and building relationships with the senior leaders and key business partners that you support will be key to tackling the ever-changing legal challenges we face in a dynamic and fast-paced retail landscape. From brand and patent law to contract development and negotiations, you’ll be challenged and gratified by a role with Target Legal Affairs.
A role in Government Affairs means ensuring local and federal government entities have positive relationships with Target Enterprise. You will act as an advocate on behalf of Target and serve as an internal expert to both internal and external entities on a variety of key issues that allow Target to conduct business in the most productive way.
As the Manager, Grassroots Advocacy, you will maintain a formal grassroots program to advance Target’s policy positions across the country. This is a newly named position in Government Affairs created to enhance Target’s grassroots advocacy capabilities. In this role, you will:
- Lead, manage, and develop Target Government Affairs’ formal grassroots program to deepen the engagement, support, and participation of Target employees, customers, and local, state, and national partner organizations in Target’s public policy strategies
- Develop grassroots plans including drafting messaging, monitoring results, and modifying plans as needed
- Build Target’s network of advocates for Target’s public policy priorities, collaborating with Target’s PAC manager to achieve shared goals
- Manage Target’s civic engagement program in coordination with Target’s Diversity & Inclusion team
- Collaborate with Target issue experts, Government Affairs partners, and regional advocacy directors on shared legislative/advocacy goals at the local, state, and federal levels, developing long-term strategies and measurable outcomes
- Coordinate grassroots activity with internal leadership and stakeholders to ensure appropriate cross-functional visibility and mitigation of potential risks to Target’s brand and reputation
- Serve as liaison between Target Government Affairs and current and prospective grassroots vendors to better utilize existing and new communications/grassroots technologies
- Develop and execute grassroots communications strategy aimed at identifying internal advocates at headquarters and stores locations across the country
- Plan and execute Government Affairs-sponsored activities and events to educate team members and bring awareness to government affairs
- Consult and collaborate with external association partners on potential grassroots engagement opportunities and advocacy campaigns benefiting Target and the retail industry
- Facilitate regular grassroots updates/meetings and provide grassroots training opportunities to Government Affairs partners
- Represent Target at grassroots-related events
- Establish and maintain relationships with other grassroots professionals, trade associations and coalitions
- Facilitate regular communication on Target’s business and public policy priorities with Target’s internal and external stakeholders, including state retail associations, internal business partners, Target leadership, contract lobbyists, elected officials and their staff members, interest groups, state agencies and others as necessary
- Create advocacy content that can be used in different internal and external mediums
- Coordinate with PAC manager to develop and manage government affairs civic engagement and public policy brand
Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.
- Bachelor's degree required, preferably in public policy or related field of study
- 5+ years of related government affairs/relations or trade association experience
- Knowledge of the state legislative processes
- Experience using time management skills such as prioritizing/organizing and tracking details and meeting deadlines of multiple projects with varying completion dates
- Experience working in corporate government affairs or an association with a focus on retail or large employers
- Strong ability to synthesize information and communicate effectively
- Strong presentation skills to update diverse audiences regarding public policy developments with a diverse set of stakeholders
- Knowledge of general public policy issues, especially those that impact retail
- Experience managing a formal grassroots program preferred
- Keen understanding of political processes in diverse contexts
- Familiarity with current grassroots tools and technologies
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills, including the ability to work effectively with internal and external colleagues as needed
- Ability to interface well with internal Target leaders
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a proven ability to work productively in a team-oriented work environment.
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently as well as contribute to a team effort
- Ability to travel as needed
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.
What’s it like to work here? We’re asked that a lot. Target respects and values the individuality of all team members and guests—and we have lots of fun in all that we do.experience our culture