Senior Engineer - ScalabilityApply Now Job ID: R0000122217 job family: Technology Engineering schedule: Full time Location: 33 S 6th St, Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States, 55402-3601;
Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company and one of America’s leading retailers.
Target as a tech company? Absolutely. We’re the behind-the-scenes powerhouse that fuels Target’s passion and commitment to cutting-edge innovation. We anchor every facet of one of the world’s best-loved retailers with a strong technology framework that relies on the latest tools and technologies—and the brightest people—to deliver incredible value to guests online and in stores. Target Technology Services is on a mission to offer the systems, tools and support that guests and team members need and deserve. Our high-performing teams balance independence with collaboration, and we pride ourselves on being versatile, agile and creative. We drive industry-leading technologies in support of every angle of the business, and help ensure that Target operates smoothly, securely and reliably from the inside out.
The Scalability Engineering team is responsible for developing solutions, capabilities, and knowledge across the enterprise to enhance application scalability. As a Senior Engineer, you serve as a specialist in the engineering team developing apis used to test and measure the scaling and performance of applications to meet the rising demands of Target’s technology services. You will work with teams in ecommerce, stores, supply chain, and corporate areas to grow the performance and scalability culture in Target and evolve the practices and patterns used daily. You are an expert in how applications scale and improve to meet the requests of ecommerce, stores and other guest channels. You will solve complex problems and propose new solutions for our team and other engineers.
Use your skills, experience and talents to be a part of groundbreaking thinking and visionary goals. As a Sr. Engineer, you will
• Take the lead as you grow an industry leading performance culture across the enterprise.
• Keep pace with the dynamic technology platform and maintain knowledge of current and emerging technologies.
• Evaluate new technologies and participate in decision-making, accounting for several factors such as need within Target’s technical environment, maintainability, and cost of ownership. Initiate and execute research and proof-of-concept activities for new scalability products.
• Lead and conduct code and performance reviews, testing, and debugging performance at the application and infrastructure level.
• Participate in routine and non-routine construction, automation, and implementation activities, ensuring successful implementation with architectural and operational requirements and best practices met.
• Provide technical oversight and coach others to resolve complex and severe technical performance issues.
Core responsibilities of this job are described within this job description. Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.
• 4 year degree or equivalent experience
• 5-7 years of software development experience
• Development experience building applications with Java and SpringBoot or similar
• Demonstrates proficiency in core development platforms such as Java for developing performance tools
• Builds strong commitment working with partners across the enterprise assisting
• Experience with high-performance and scalable systems (high throughput and low latency)
• Works in an agile team environment
• Demonstrates strong performance knowledge within an ecommerce or other large system
• Experience with performance testing tools such as jMeter, Gatling, BlazeMeter, SOASTA, or similar
• Demonstrates a solid understanding of the impact of own work on the team and/or guests
• Maintains technical knowledge within areas of expertise
• Stays current with new and evolving technologies via formal training and self-directed education
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.
What’s it like to work here? We’re asked that a lot. Target respects and values the individuality of all team members and guests—and we have lots of fun in all that we do.experience our culture