Senior Scientist - Nutrition, Labeling and Regulatory Compliance - Part-Time Job Share
JOB TITLE Senior Scientist - Nutrition, Labeling and Regulatory Compliance (Job Share – 3 days/week)
Date: September 2019
Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company and one of America’s leading retailers.
To match the signature style and passion of Target’s distinctive and beloved retail brand, Target Legal Affairs is a dynamic and deeply knowledgeable team of legal pros, each with valuable expertise from several disciplines. Whether specializing in government affairs, policy, risk management, regulatory compliance, ethics or employee and labor relations, this team advocates for Target and its business plans in communities across the nation and works across the entire company to provide internal clients with cohesive guidance. We are committed to being internal experts to both internal and external entities on key issues that affect Target’s ability to productively do business. We focus on defining, investigating, anticipating and ultimately mitigating risk in all its forms. We apply our grasp of brand law by overseeing, maintaining and ensuring correct, consistent and authorized use of Target’s signature Bullseye logo, assets and other trademarked material. We help protect Target and its subsidiaries by applying our comprehensive understanding and interpretation of the laws that govern our stores, distribution centers and corporate locations. Here, you’ll enjoy working autonomously with a healthy work-life balance. Your passion for learning the business and building relationships with the senior leaders and key business partners that you support will be key to tackling the ever-changing legal challenges we face in a dynamic and fast-paced retail landscape. From brand and patent law to contract development and negotiations, you’ll be challenged and gratified by a role with Target Legal Affairs.
About This Opportunity:
As a senior scientist on the Nutrition, Labeling and Regulatory Compliance team you will contribute to the growth of the Target Owned Brand Foods (OBF) business. You will lead food labeling for select product categories, partnering with internal and external partners throughout the product development process from strategy to commercialization. You also will be responsible for leading a variety of regulatory, nutrition and labeling projects within and across teams.
- Guide and influence Target OBF product development, packaging and communications through collaboration with product development, buyers, marketing, legal and external vendor partners.
- Review and approve food labeling specifications and artwork (e.g., product naming, ingredients, nutrition, allergens, claims, and graphics) for regulatory compliance.
- Interpret regulations and technical information to create solutions for ambiguous situations in partnership with internal and external colleagues.
- Monitor and evaluate pending labeling regulations and external developments in assigned subject areas; determine business and product implications, and inform implementation plans.
- Lead the development of labeling & claims guidance, standards and processes for emerging and undefined areas in partnership with legal and other stakeholders.
- Contribute regulatory and nutrition expertise to health & wellness initiatives and communications.
- Identify opportunities, and work with colleagues to advance improvements in labeling programs, processes and systems.
- Represent Target externally, including participation in trade and professional associations, when assigned.
- Mentor and direct work of labeling colleagues, when assigned.
- 5-7+ years of labeling, regulatory, health & wellness strategy/communications, or product development experience in consumer packaged foods; 2+ years US food labeling experience required; food manufacturer experience, preferred.
- Minimum BS in Food Science, Nutrition, or a closely related field, MS preferred; equivalent work experience will be considered.
- Direct experience with ingredient and product specifications, labeling, artwork/packaging review and approval for consumer packaged foods.
- Regulatory expertise, including experience interpreting and applying food labeling regulations to products and claims, and balancing with business goals and external risks.
- Demonstrated subject matter expert in at least one specialized area (ex: FDA or USDA labeling regulations, product development, claims, marketing & communications, labeling systems or process development).
- Experience in developing or influencing business- or project-level strategy and plans based on regulatory, policy and/or nutrition.
- Proven ability to lead and manage projects cross-functionally to affect business results.
- Excellent communication skills across teams and organizational levels.
- Strong attention to details, organized, and timeline-focused.
- Strong problem-solving and research skills.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.
What’s it like to work here? We’re asked that a lot. Target respects and values the individuality of all team members and guests—and we have lots of fun in all that we do.experience our culture