Sr. Chemist BeautyApply Now Job ID: R0000051466 schedule: Full time Location: 33 South 6th Street, Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States, 55402-3601;
BEAUTY SR. SCIENTIST
Target is one of the world’s most recognized brands and one of America’s leading retailers
Product Design & Development
At the heart of one of the world’s best loved and most recognizable brands is an impeccable Product Development & Design organization. We thrive on the magic of discovering that just-right thing, and we infuse everything we do with our passion for affordable chic. We concept, develop, make and deliver the stylish new favorites that Target guests expect and deserve. We are uber-savvy trend and style experts who stay ahead of the curve, proactively identifying our market’s needs and exceeding them, every time. Join one of our dynamic and inventive teams to influence the style, quality and value that decisively position Target above the competition. Your input will have a direct and positive effect, whether on home, hardlines or apparel & accessories. Here, you’ll be close to the action of dreaming up and bringing to life the Target-owned brands that surprise and gratify guests, wherever and whenever they love to shop.
A role with the Beauty team means a big opportunity to start from scratch & create something truly original. Are you an expert who can support your business by staying one step ahead of industry trends, new materials & techniques? Can you demonstrate the utmost attention to detail and create products that are unprecedented in the marketplace for their design & quality for the price? Then you’ll have success on our team developing of all Target-owned brands, from apparel to home goods, and beauty to essentials. In close partnership with our merchant and sourcing counterparts, you’ll drive brand cohesion & continuity, ensuring that our products meet the merchant line plans, assortment strategies, price points and overall creative direction. The exciting part of retail? It’s always changing! Core responsibilities of this job are described within this job description. Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.
- Partner with Design, Merchant, Sourcing & Vendors to understand business initiatives, product functional requirements & performance expectations to ensure consistency of product.
- Exhibits an understanding of divisional strategic initiatives and proactively works to implement supporting technical solutions.
- Lead discussion regarding formulation in Cross Functional Team meetings (including Design, Merchants, Sourcing, Packaging and Compliance).
- Develop products that meet brand intent for style, quality, performance and value.
- Partner with Target Compliance & Quality Teams to develop performance testing protocols.
- Conduct timely sample evaluations and ensure approval of all supported products.
- Partner with Design Team, Jr. Chemists and vendors to ensure the brand vision is appropriately understood and executed.
- Partner with vendors to understand current manufacturing processes, innovations and limitations.
- Proactively anticipate manufacturing and quality issues and to co-develop products. Evaluate and resolve technical feasibility, design optimization, and production issues.
- Maintain a working knowledge of applicable government regulatory requirements, safety protocols and Target performance standards for product across assigned categories.
- Daily communication with external partners for product development, testing, and approvals.
- Evaluate formula submissions with designers and scientists.
- Research and develop innovative product solutions that may include raw materials, constructions, manufacturing processes and technologies.
- Responsible for coaching and developing team of jr. scientists/chemists
- Lead team to provide product technical specifications and product quality standards for industry leading formulations and materials to include: raw materials, function, formulation, construction details and product dimensions.
- Establish best methods and practices for formula evaluation, sample reviews, technical specs, etc.
- Responsible for researching new ingredients, textures, products and packaging to allow for greater innovation.
- Survey competitive landscape to develop best-in-class products by identifying trends and current and emerging competitors.
- Stay on top of the latest beauty and lifestyle trends and find opportunities for new products, variations and ideas.
- Research competitor product offerings & positioning to help guide strategy.
- Guest empathy: Understand the overall Target guest, the core guest within the product/brand/category. Understand how the guest will use the product.
- Attend conferences, trade shows and trainings to remain current on industry innovation and regulation climate.
- 4-year college degree in relevant science.
- 8-10 years relevant experience.
- Passionate about the beauty industry.
- Demonstrates a can-do attitude.
- Knowledge of testing, safety and legal requirements for consumer products.
- Knowledge of applicable raw materials and their performance and usage.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to successfully work in a fast paced, often changing team environment.
- Ability to communicate business and technical details across various departments levels
- Exhibits a working knowledge of product formulation and manufacturing.
- Adobe suite knowledge – or willingness to learn InDesign.
- Ability to travel as needed.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.
What’s it like to work here? We’re asked that a lot. Target respects and values the individuality of all team members and guests—and we have lots of fun in all that we do.experience our culture