Sr. Engineer - Function as a Service
Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company and one of America’s leading retailers.
Target as a tech company? Absolutely. We’re the behind-the-scenes powerhouse that fuels Target’s passion and commitment to cutting-edge innovation. We anchor every facet of one of the world’s best-loved retailers with a strong technology framework that relies on the latest tools and technologies—and the brightest people—to deliver incredible value to guests online and in stores. Target Technology Services is on a mission to offer the systems, tools and support that guests and team members need and deserve. Our high-performing teams balance independence with collaboration, and we pride ourselves on being versatile, agile and creative. We drive industry-leading technologies in support of every angle of the business, and help ensure that Target operates smoothly, securely and reliably from the inside out.
This specific position is for the Function as a Service platform within Target's Cloud and Compute division. The FaaS Platform will provide the ability to develop, run, and manage application functionalities without the complexity of building and maintaining the infrastructure typically associated with developing and launching an app. The platform will provide serverless computing that can be deployed to stores to allow the reduction of compute footprint needs while enabling applications to continue to advance the modernization of the stores applications. Target is poised to lead the new revolution of software defined physical experiences due to our ability to leverage the Target Application Platform in the cloud and within each of our 1,800 stores.
As a Senior Engineer, you serve as a specialist in the engineering team that supports the product. You help develop and gain insight in the application architecture. You can distill an abstract architecture into concrete design and influence the implementation. You show expertise in applying the appropriate software engineering patterns to build robust and scalable systems. You are an expert in programming and apply your skills in developing the product. You have the skills to design and implement the architecture on your own, but choose to influence your fellow engineers by proposing software designs, providing feedback on software designs and/or implementation. You show good problem solving skills and can help the team in triaging operational issues. You leverage your expertise in eliminating repeat occurrences.
As Senior Engineer in the Functions as a Service team, you will:
- Help drive adoption of new technologies within the team and across Target
- Responsible for driving key decisions on how Target utilizes technology to solve complicated problems
- Build prototypes to prove out concepts
- Interface with infrastructure partners to further the platform capabilities
- Create new and contribute to existing Target open source projects
- Responsible for analyzing, designing, building and implementing infrastructure platform components.
- 4 year degree or equivalent experience
- 5+ years of software development experience
- Demonstrates strong knowledge of Docker
- Demonstrates strong knowledge of Java and/or Golang
- Strong experience utilizing CI/CD technologies (Git, Chef, Ansible, Jenkins/Drone)
- Familiarity with Linux, and common sysadmin tasks
- Familiarity with Networking
- Delivers high-performance, scalable, repeatable, and secure deliverables with broad impact (high throughput and low latency)
- Designs new testing methods and resolves routine and non-routine technical issues with minimal assistance
- Builds strong commitment within the team to support the appropriate team priorities
- Clearly communicates Agile concepts to partners within product team
- Demonstrates a solid understanding of the impact of own work on the team and/or guests
- Influences and applies data standards, policies, and procedures
- Maintains technical knowledge within areas of expertise
- Stays current with new and evolving technologies via formal training and self-directed education
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.
What’s it like to work here? We’re asked that a lot. Target respects and values the individuality of all team members and guests—and we have lots of fun in all that we do.experience our culture