Sr. Engineering Manager - Performance and EfficiencyApply Now Job ID: R0000107143 job family: Technology Engineering schedule: Full time Location: 33 S 6th St, Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States, 55402-3601;
About This Opportunity
As a Sr. Engineering Manager, you will lead an engineering team in an agile environment building solutions. The key to the success of this position is having strong & innovative approach to problem solving, great technical leadership, excellent communication (written and verbal, formal and informal), flexibility, and a self-motivated working style with attention to detail.
As a member of the Performance and Efficiency team you will work with other SRE and portfolio Engineers to produce mission-critical infrastructure, tools, and processes that will ensure the highest level of availability and reliability of our platforms and services. As a senior member of the team you will be expected to work with management, peers, team members and guests to define and implement the technical vision of the team.
You're right for the job if you're comfortable with deep technical cloud and on-premise infrastructure management, performance testing & tuning, and distributed architectures. You will work cross-functionally amongst a variety of teams and be a core contributor in every significant engineering service or solution that we deliver to our stakeholders. You'll excel if you have enthusiasm for digging deep, and a flare for sharp technical communication, prioritization and organization. You will work directly with our Software Engineering teams to build our next generation “always up” cloud-based ecommerce/Retail and Enterprise platform.
Performance and Efficiency are hybrid systems and software engineers who are responsible and take ownership for reliability, scalability, automation, and other issues related to availability of Target’s e-commerce/Retail and Enterprise platforms. Our goal is to build, scale and guard the systems that delight our guests. To do so, you will need strong skills in following areas:
- Design, write and build tools to improve the reliability, latency, availability and scalability of Target’s e-commerce/Retail and Enterprise products.
- Drive performance testing, performance tuning and starting with metrics and measurements
- Enable scaling by providing tools, developing training and/or augmenting processes
- Build tools/automate to prevent re-occurrence of problems in mission critical products/services.
- Augment existing instrumentation to build a cohesive picture of the characteristics of our systems with special attention to points of failure.
- Participate in capacity planning, demand forecasting, software performance analysis and system tuning.
- Develop a deep understanding of the various services and applications that come together to deliver Target’s e-commerce/Retail and Enterprise products
- Drive the definition and adoption of SLIs and SLOs at both the service and experience levels.
- Design new tools to monitor and create smart alerts that help discover failures/issues in a timely fashion and work with engineers to identify root cause and fix issues
- Influence, design and create new architectures, standards and methods for large-scale enterprise systems.
- Root-cause complex problems involving multiple parties, networks, hardware and software that relate to scaling and performance
- Secure the system from issues, be they real, perceived or theoretical
- High focus on collecting and inferring metrics
- Experience with configuration management tools such as Ansible, Saltstack, Chef and Puppet
- Build and drive the automation systems that maintain system health
Use your skills, experience and talents to be a part of groundbreaking thinking and visionary goals. As a Sr. Engineering manager, you’ll take the lead as you…
- Manage overall software development cycle, driving best practices and ensuring development of high-quality code for common assets and framework components.
- Build and lead a team of high caliber software development engineers
- Architect and develop the best technical design and approach
- Manage and execute against project/agile plans and set deadlines
- Drive resolution of technology roadblocks including code, infrastructure, build and deployment
- Manage cross-product technical dependencies and drive resolutions to conflicts
- Advocate for technologies, frameworks, design patterns, processes and guiding values of the domain architecture
- Ensure all code adheres to all development & security standards
- 12+ years of engineering (software development, testing ) experience. Experience with at least one full cycle implementation from requirement to production. Experience in building/implementing high performance & scalable server-side applications
- 5+ years of managing software development / testing / infrastructure teams with a strong track record of project delivery for large, cross-functional projects
- Experience operating medium to large scale systems
- Experience with test-driven development and software test automation
- Strong sense of ownership
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner to variety of audiences
- Knowledge of modern enterprise infrastructure concepts including automation, security, cloud, containers
- Knowledge of Infrastructure as code
- Experience in designing, investigating, analyzing and troubleshooting large-scale enterprise systems.
- Methodical and systematic problem-solving approach, combined with a solid awareness of ownership, initiative and drive.
- Fluency with running services at scale; In depth understanding of Unix systems internals and networking.
- Networking knowledge and in depth understanding of network concepts, such as different protocols (TCP/IP, UDP, ICMP, etc.), MAC addresses, IP packets, DNS, OSI layers, and load balancing).
- Understanding of Unix/Linux systems from kernel to shell and beyond, taking in system libraries, file systems, and client-server protocols along the way. Experience administering Linux systems in a production environment
- Programming experience in one or more of the following languages: Go, Java, Python, Ruby, Shell
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or a related field, or relevant work experience
- Experience with distributed version control like Git or similar
- Experience with IaaS and PaaS providers such as AWS, AZURE, GCP, private cloud
- Experience with enterprise monitoring solutions like AppDynamics, New Relic, Prometheus, Graphite, Nagios, Sensu and Splunk
- Familiarity with continuous integration/deployment processes and tools such as Travis, Drone, Jenkins, Docker, Maven, Nexus, etc.,
- BS degree in computer science or equivalent
- Experience with Java, Groovy, Spring, Grails- JVM language and framework
- eCommerce experience with a track record of innovation
- Contribute back to the Open Source community is desirable
- Extensive experience working in an agile environment (i.e. user stories, iterative development, etc.)
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.
What’s it like to work here? We’re asked that a lot. Target respects and values the individuality of all team members and guests—and we have lots of fun in all that we do.experience our culture