Sr FSQR Scientist (part-time job share Monday-Wednesday)Apply Now Job ID: R0000109340 job family: Food Safety & Compliance schedule: Variable Location: 33 S 6th St, Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States, 55402-3601;
JOB TITLESr. FSQR Scientist (Job Share – 3 days/week Monday-Wednesday)
Date: October 2020
Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company and one of America’s leading retailers.
To match the signature style and passion of Target’s distinctive and beloved retail brand, Target Legal Affairs is a dynamic and deeply knowledgeable team of regulatory compliance and legal pros, each with valuable expertise from several disciplines. Whether specializing in government affairs, policy, risk management, regulatory compliance, ethics or employee and labor relations, this team advocates for Target and its business plans in communities across the nation and works across the entire company to provide internal clients with cohesive guidance. We help protect Target by applying our comprehensive understanding and interpretation of the laws that govern our stores, distribution centers and corporate locations. Here, you’ll enjoy working autonomously with a healthy work-life balance. Your passion for learning the business and building relationships with the senior leaders and key business partners that you support will be key to tackling the ever-changing legal challenges we face in a dynamic and fast-paced retail landscape. You’ll be challenged and gratified by a role with Target Legal Affairs.
A role in
Food Safety, Quality, & Regulatory (FSQR) means supporting processes that help Target succeed by consistently delivering safe, high quality and compliant food and beverages. As a Senior FSQR Scientist, you will ensure Target Owned Brand Food labeling meets relevant regulations and internal Target standards for select product categories. You will collaborate with internal and external partners throughout the product development process from strategy to commercialization. You also will be responsible for leading a variety of regulatory, nutrition, and labeling programs and projects.
- Guide and influence Target Owned Brand Food product development, packaging, and claims through collaboration with internal and external partners.
- Review and approve product specification and labeling information (e.g., product naming, ingredients, nutrition, allergens, claims, and graphics) and packaging proofs/key-lines for assigned products or categories.
- Collaborate with internal and external colleagues to interpret regulations and technical information to develop solutions for ambiguous situations.
- Monitor and evaluate pending labeling regulations and external developments to determine business implications and inform implementation plans.
- Lead the development of labeling and claims guidance, standards, and processes for emerging and undefined areas, in partnership with legal and key stakeholders.
- Contribute regulatory and nutrition expertise to health & wellness initiatives and communications.
- Identify opportunities and work with colleagues to improve labeling programs, processes, and systems.
- Represent Target externally, including participation in trade and professional associations, as assigned.
- Mentor and direct work of labeling colleagues, as assigned.
Skills and Experience
- 5-7+ years of labeling, regulatory, or product development experience in the food industry
- U.S. food labeling experience required; Food manufacturer experience preferred.
- Bachelor of Science in Food Science, Nutrition, or a closely related field; equivalent work experience will be considered.
- Direct experience with ingredient and product specifications, labeling, artwork/packaging review and approval for consumer-packaged foods.
- Regulatory expertise, including experience interpreting and applying food labeling regulations to products and claims, while balancing business goals and external risks.
- Demonstrated subject matter expert in at least one specialized area (ex: FDA or USDA labeling regulations, product development, claims, marketing & communications, labeling systems, or process development).
- Experience in developing or influencing business- or project-level strategy and plans based on regulatory, policy, and/or nutrition.
- Proven ability to lead and manage projects cross-functionally to affect business results.
- Comfortable with ambiguity, with a growth mindset
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to manage multiple tasks or projects and deliver consistently against timelines.
- Strong problem-solving and research skills.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.
What’s it like to work here? We’re asked that a lot. Target respects and values the individuality of all team members and guests—and we have lots of fun in all that we do.experience our culture