Sr Manager FSQR
Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company and one of America’s leading retailers.
To match the signature style and passion of Target’s distinctive and beloved retail brand, Target Legal Affairs is a dynamic and deeply knowledgeable team of legal pros, each with valuable expertise from several disciplines. Whether specializing in government affairs, policy, risk management, regulatory compliance, ethics or employee and labor relations, this team advocates for Target and its business plans in communities across the nation and works across the entire company to provide internal clients with cohesive guidance. We are committed to being internal experts to both internal and external entities on key issues that affect Target’s ability to productively do business. We focus on defining, investigating, anticipating and ultimately mitigating risk in all its forms. We apply our grasp of brand law by overseeing, maintaining and ensuring correct, consistent and authorized use of Target’s signature Bullseye logo, assets and other trademarked material. We help protect Target and its subsidiaries by applying our comprehensive understanding and interpretation of the laws that govern our stores, distribution centers and corporate locations. Here, you’ll enjoy working autonomously with a healthy work-life balance. Your passion for learning the business and building relationships with the senior leaders and key business partners that you support will be key to tackling the ever-changing legal challenges we face in a dynamic and fast-paced retail landscape. From brand and patent law to contract development and negotiations, you’ll be challenged and gratified by a role with Target Legal Affairs.
A role in Food Safety Quality & Regulatory means joining a team of experienced risk managers, food scientists and food safety quality & regulatory leaders whose purpose is to protect the guest and public health while supporting the profitable growth of the business. We build and maintain industry leading food safety, quality and regulatory programs that manage both domestic and global risk related to our Owned Brand and high risk national brand vendors. It also means supporting Target’s Food & Beverage strategy to identify, prioritize and minimize areas of food safety, quality & regulatory risk as well as represent these positions while collaborating with a cross functional team comprised of business development, sourcing, product development, package engineers, technical and marketing partners to identify Owned Brand Food growth opportunities and build winning solutions for our guests.
We will support you along the way with robust onboarding, as well as personal and career development, to help you grow as a strong Food Safety Quality & Regulatory (FSQR) Senior Manager. The exciting part of retail? It is always changing! Core responsibilities of this job are described within this job description. Job duties may change at any time due to business needs. As an FSQR Senior Manager, you will…
- Develop, attract and retain a high performing team of subject matter experts to advance the strategy, capabilities and execution of food safety, quality & regulatory compliance for Target’s owned brand and high risk food and beverage businesses
- Model and promote a culture that champions food safety, quality and regulatory compliance
- Design and implement food safety quality & regulatory programs
- Work collaboratively across teams to identify and manage food safety, quality and regulatory risk (including nutrition, labeling, etc.) for Owned Brand Food product development while meeting development timelines and budget expectations
- Support Owned Brand Food growth by defining product specification/ label/ claim requirements, playing a key role in the overall development and review process and ensuring product/ label conformity to defined specifications ad well as managing the internal and vendor assessment and approval process
- Lead multiple, concurrent FSQR, cross-functional/ cross-pyramid teams to drive continuous improvement projects, working with stakeholders to define, communicate and measure success for complex business objectives
- Support strategic planning through the assessment and management of current food safety, quality and regulatory programs, thereby influencing future product development roadmaps, sourcing and negotiation with vendors, including specification development and maintenance
- Manage oversight of third party contracts and vendors as necessary to manage risk and advance FSQR and food & beverage business goals
- Pursue continuing education through proactively establishing and cultivating an external network as well as representing Target FSQR with industry partners (vendors,professional/ trade organizations) to contribute to advancing food safety quality and regulatory programs
- Bachelor’s Degree in Food Science or related discipline
- Minimum 5 – 10 years experience in retail and/or manufacturing food safety/ quality/ regulatory
- HACCP & PCQI certified (or ability to achieve within 6 months of hire)
- Team leadership and cross functional project management experience
- Strong written and oral communication, negotiation/ organizational skills and self motivation
- Excellent communication, collaboration and influencing skills with internal and external partners
- Strong and proven track record of critical thinking, problem solving, conflict resolution
- Exhibits good judgement and decisiveness
- Experience working with contract manufacturers and vendors to achieve food safety, quality and regulatory compliance for food and beverage products (USDA and FDA regulatory requirements)
- Strong knowledge of food safety, quality and regulatory specification and label management
- 2+ years of product development and commercialization experience desired
- Experience in food safety and quality auditing preferred, including working knowledge of GFSI benchmarked standards
- Ability to travel up to 30% of the time
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.
What’s it like to work here? We’re asked that a lot. Target respects and values the individuality of all team members and guests—and we have lots of fun in all that we do.experience our culture