Sr Media Manager
Sr. Media Manager, Media Strategy
Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company and one of America’s leading retailers.
Fueling the continued success of one of the world’s most beloved and recognized brands is a distinctly capable, creative and innovative Marketing organization. Target Marketing is well known for inspiring and surprising guests, and we pride ourselves on connecting them to the products and experiences they expect and deserve from Target. In Media Strategy, we are media thought leaders who look at marketing through a media lens, and find balance in the math and magic required to build meaningful media communication plans. We use data and trends to build guest insights and ideas, and then craft media communications to drive sales and brand equity. We have a clear and cohesive understanding of our business objectives, and are able to build strategies, guest segments and tactics. We build learning plans and lean into measurement to ensure we are effective and relevant to our Guests and our goals. We are committed to partnering internally across departments and externally with our agencies and media partners. We are passionate about our Guests and the constantly evolving media landscape they live in. We embrace change and strive to have one foot in the future.
A role with Target Media Strategy is a chance to elevate the work of Target Marketing by leaning into data, creative thought and technology. Your recommendations will inform and lead the integration of media strategies across channels and categories. You’ll lead multichannel development of guest-centric media work that helps drive Target’s business. You’ll bring together internal and external media, content and technology teams to meaningfully connect with guests. And you’ll ensure successful guest and channel distribution strategies as you heavily leverage measurement and optimization.
Are you passionate and experienced in building strategy and media solutions that reach diverse audiences? Do you have an insatiable curiosity and interest in the multicultural marketplace? In this position, in addition to leading campaign work, you will lead the development of our media approach nuanced to the needs of our different guests and be a champion of infusing best practices into our team’s work.
The position requires thorough knowledge of the multicultural marketing and media landscape, with particular focus on Hispanic targets (but also with AA, Asian and LGBTQ+ audiences.) Working knowledge of and relationships with the key vendors in the space would be preferred.
Your creativity in strategy development, passion for media innovation and understanding of the best way to connect with guests are critical as you steward the strategies you lead the development of work through to execution. Your superior communication skills and ability to build and foster relationships across disciplines will be used to orchestrate the work across partners and channels both through our media agency, essence, and our internal Target media channel teams. Your core partners will be Target Media channel leadership, Target creative, BCM, essence (Target’s media agency) and external creative partners. However, you will need to be able to flex to inform and influence other Target teams as needed.
- Work closely with Target brand and creative strategy teams to create innovative communication strategies specific to MC targets creating detailed audience overviews as needed.
- Lead media agency in development of media strategy and tactical plan development that deliver on brand goals.
- Able to represent the MC marketplace within a larger setting to allow for integration of MC expertise with cross functional teams.
- Must be comfortable working across all channels and leading teams to integrate into one holistic view of media and the role channels play, inclusive of search, email, affiliate.
- Be an expert on Target guest and consumer behaviors, media consumption patterns and emerging trends in the media world, inclusive of multicultural media landscape.
- Lead teams both internal and external to deliver comprehensive media plan recommendations across multiple channels including all Owned, Earned, Shared and Paid.
Must be at least conversant in all.
- Work with Media Effectiveness team to evaluate media performance, optimize in campaign and mine for future learnings.
- Proven ability to build relationships across disciplines and with creative agencies.
- Demonstrate leadership in identifying trends, opportunities, issues and best practices and integrating learning into campaign work.
- Play a key role in development of select Enterprise wide initiatives as needed.
- Be a steward of best practices and an evangelist of learnings across work.
Core responsibilities of this job are described within this job description. Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.
- Four-year degree with strong academic performance, or equivalent experience.
- 8+ years of relevant media experience, with 4+ years multicultural media planning experience.
- Excellent analytical, decision-making, project management, and communication skills including strong written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to present in both large and small group settings.
- Strong conceptual skills and ability to translate concepts into analytical or research methodologies and tools.
- Able to quickly establish rapport, credibility, trust, and respect with peers, direct reports, and senior executives.
- Track record of success in dealing effectively with complex projects entailing frequent interaction with senior executives.
- Ability to synthesize and clearly communicate highly complex findings to focus on the critical issues and actionable opportunities.
- Deep understanding of consumer behaviors in relation to media and technical expertise of several media channels needed.
- Clear understanding of the paid media landscape inclusive of digital marketing, martech and the changing dynamics of the marketplace.
- Proven ability to build media strategies and tactical plans seen through to execution.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.
What’s it like to work here? We’re asked that a lot. Target respects and values the individuality of all team members and guests—and we have lots of fun in all that we do.experience our culture