Sr Product Designer, Sporting GoodsApply Now Location: 1000 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States, 55403-2542; job id: R0000178999
job family: Creative Design
schedule: Full time
Target is one of the world’s most recognized brands and one of America’s leading retailers
Product Design & Development
At the heart of one of the world’s best loved and most recognizable brands is an impeccable Own Brand Product Design & Management organization. We thrive on the magic of discovering that just-right thing, and we infuse everything we do with our passion for affordable chic. We concept, develop, make and deliver the stylish new favorites that Target guests expect and deserve. We are uber-savvy trend and style experts who stay ahead of the curve, proactively identifying our market’s needs and exceeding them, every time. Join one of our dynamic and inventive teams to influence the style, quality and value that decisively positions Target above the competition. Your input will have a direct and positive effect, whether on Home, Hardlines or Apparel & Accessories. Here, you’ll be close to the action of dreaming up and bringing to life the Target-owned brands that surprise and gratify guests, wherever and whenever they love to shop.
A role within the OBPD+M Sporting Goods team means a big opportunity to start from scratch & create something truly original. Are you an expert who can support your business by staying one step ahead of industry trends, new materials & techniques? Can you demonstrate the utmost attention to detail and create products that are unprecedented in the marketplace for their design & quality for the price? Then you’ll have success on our team developing Target-owned brands, from Apparel to Home or Hardlines, and Beauty to Essentials. In close partnership with our merchant and sourcing counterparts, you’ll drive brand cohesion & continuity, ensuring that our products meet the merchant line plans, assortment strategies, price points and overall creative direction. The exciting part of retail? It’s always changing!
As a Senior Designer, you'll be taking on a Lead role as you assume responsibility for design, approval, coordination, and implementation for all projects assigned with limited and/or general direction. Working cross functionally with Engineering, Merchandising, Sourcing, Marketing and other Target team members, you will be a leader for design strategy & product development.
In this role, a strong understanding and advocacy of the Target’s Sporting Goods Brand Portfolio is essential. You’ll leverage trend information and inspiration to develop clear and compelling direction and designs. Using your skills and talents, you will create and present projects throughout the project lifecycle to project teams, Cross Functional Teams, leadership, and/or enterprise partners.
Additionally, comprehending the nuance of both what is said and how it’s said, you’ll synthesize complex information and communicate the appropriate amount of details. You will create and maintain accurate ROI data on all projects and have a general understanding of financial impacts to the business.
Core responsibilities of this job are described within this job description. Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.
- Develop products that meet brand intent for style, quality, performance and value.
- Responsible for coaching and developing jr. designers & team members.
- Exhibits an understanding of divisional strategic initiatives and proactively works to implement supporting solutions in partnership with Cross Functional Teams & Vendors as well as lead the conversation regarding Brand Design.
- Survey competitive landscape to develop best-in-class products as well as research competitor product offerings and positioning to help guide strategy and find opportunities for new product’s, variations and ideas.
- Self-motivated and high level of accountability to coordinate multiple projects; develop and adhere to schedules; prioritize workload; and work in a fast paced, challenging, and continually evolving environment.
- Guest empathy: Understand the overall Target guest, the core guest within the product/brand/category. Understand how the guest will use the product.
- 4-year college degree in Design (industrial, architecture, fashion) or equivalent experience
- 8 -10 years relevant experience, retail experience a plus
- Highly proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator/InDesign/Photoshop)
- Excels in thinking with a balance of Art & Science, very important to have a strong Strategic mindset
- Excellent communication, presentation, organizational and project management skills
- Highly experienced with image curation and creating visual presentations
- Excellent problem solving and creative thinking skills
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Passionate about the Design, Culture and Brand building
- Positive & collaborative working style
- Knowledge of testing, safety and legal requirements for consumer products
- Knowledge of applicable raw materials and their performance and usage
- Advanced knowledge of product manufacturing
- Ability to travel as needed
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.
What’s it like to work here? We’re asked that a lot. Target respects and values the individuality of all team members and guests—and we have lots of fun in all that we do.experience our culture