Sr WriterApply Now Job ID: R0000090804 job family: Communications schedule: Full time Location: 33 South 6th Street, Minneapolis, Minnesota, United States, 55402-3601;
Title: Senior Writer, Signature Communications Channels
Date: August 2020
Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company and one of America’s leading retailers.
A role with Target Communications means a chance to continuously improve the quality, relevance, creativity and authenticity of both internal and external storytelling. Bring your skills as a bold and forward-thinking professional communicator who thrives on building confidence, driving brand love and creating value. Here, you’ll shine as a relationship-focused pro who’s strategically minded, an expert executor and an articulate brand ambassador. Rise to the challenge of driving results with smart risk-taking, constant innovation and perpetual teaching and learning. Comprised of Public Relations, Public Affairs, Crisis Management and Internal Enterprise Communications, this team strengthens and protects Target’s reputation and helps drive traffic, sales and guest loyalty. You’ll develop deep relationships with business partners to ensure critical information flows through multiple channels, building confidence with team members and external stakeholders and strengthening Target’s position within the competitive retail marketplace.
As SeniorWriter, Signature Communications Channels, you will serve as story-crafter, intrepid reporter and communications strategist, all with the goal of sharing Target’s story and strengthening audience engagement – internally and externally. You'll sit with a team of talented writers and partner with external and internal teams to deliver daily news to Target team members, guests and members of the media.
As a Senior Writer, you’ll play a role in:
- Editorial planning and strategy – you’ll produce content for Target’s award-winning daily internal communications channel, TGT Briefly, and Target’s best-in-class corporate website, A Bullseye View. You’ll work closely with your peers across the Communications team, as well as key business partners across the company, to plan and align content that matter most to our audiences and the company.
- Top-notch writing and editing – you’ll be tasked with daily creation of stories that share company news, strategy insights and team member stories. Identifying and developing creative, clear, concise stories and the ability to write and edit complex topics into sharp, engaging pieces are critical to the role.
- Story mining and reporting – you’ll generate story ideas by working “beats,” pairing with internal partners to identify and craft stories about Target’s journey.
- Operational support – you’ll rotate digital publishing responsibilities with your colleagues, and you’ll use your project management and organizational skills to plan, report and write – all contributing to an editorial calendar.
- Collaboration – because you work across so many disparate partners to accomplish daily tasks, a knack for understanding and distilling complex topics and the ability to collaborate successfully is absolutely critical.
- Innovation – you’ll bring an innovative approach to your stories and prioritize continuous improvements to keep your writing fresh, engaging and cutting-edge, all while keeping its core consistently excellent. You’ll work with our social and multimedia teammates to expand upon your storytelling – developing new ways to engage readers through stories of Target’s purpose, values and strategy.
- 4 or more years of related work experience; journalism a plus
- Strong communications, writing and reporting skills
- Ability to develop and execute multiple projects at once and against very tight deadlines
- Strong editorial judgement, with ability to focus on both broad, strategic vision and small, critical details
- Understanding of how to communicate information clearly and creatively
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Prior experience working in email and web-based content management systems a bonus
- Proven skills in relationship development, project management, and issue resolution
- Familiarity with multimedia storytelling, social-media content, and analytics a plus
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.
What’s it like to work here? We’re asked that a lot. Target respects and values the individuality of all team members and guests—and we have lots of fun in all that we do.experience our culture