Lead Data Engineer - Experimentation and Measurement Platform
JOIN TARGET AS A LEAD DATA PIPELINE ENGINEER – DATA SCIENCES PLATFORM ENGINEERING, EXPERIMENTATION AND MEASUREMENT TEAM
Target as a tech company? Absolutely. We’re the behind-the-scenes powerhouse that fuels Target’s passion and commitment to cutting-edge innovation. We anchor every facet of one of the world’s best-loved retailers with a strong technology framework that relies on the latest tools and technologies—and the brightest people—to deliver incredible value to guests online and in stores. Target Technology Services is on a mission to offer the systems, tools and support that guests and team members need and deserve. Our high-performing teams balance independence with collaboration, and we pride ourselves on being versatile, agile and creative. We drive industry-leading technologies in support of every angle of the business, and help ensure that Target operates smoothly, securely and reliably from the inside out.
As a Lead Data Engineer, you serve as the technical anchor for the engineering team that supports a product. You create, own and are responsible for the application architecture that best serves the product in its functional and non-functional needs. You identify and drive architectural changes to accelerate feature development or improve the quality of service (or both). You have deep and broad engineering skills and are capable of standing up an architecture in its whole on your own, but you choose to influence a wider team by acting as a “force multiplier”. Core responsibilities of this job are described within this job description. Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.
As a Lead Data Engineer on the Big Data Platform team, you’ll take the lead as you:
Use your technology acumen to apply and maintain knowledge of current and emerging technologies within specialized area(s) of the technology domain. Evaluate new technologies and participates in decision-making, accounting for several factors such as viability within Target’s technical environment, maintainability, and cost of ownership. Initiate and execute research and proof-of-concept activities for new technologies. Lead or set strategy for testing and debugging at the platform or enterprise level. In complex and unstructured situations, serve as an expert resource to create and improve standards and best practices to ensure high-performance, scalable, repeatable, and secure deliverables. Lead the design, lifecycle management, and total cost of ownership of services. Provide the team with thought leadership to promote re-use and develop consistent, scalable patterns. Participate in planning services that have enterprise impact. Provide suggestions for handling routine and moderately complex technical problems, escalating issues when appropriate. Gather information, data, and input from a wide variety of sources; identify additional resources when appropriate, engage with appropriate stakeholders, and conduct in-depth analysis of information. Provide suggestions for handling routine and moderately complex technical problems, escalating issues when appropriate. Develop plans and schedules, estimate resource requirements, and define milestones and deliverables. Monitor workflow and risks; play a leadership role in mitigating risks and removing obstacles. Lead and participate in complex construction, automation, and implementation activities, ensuring successful implementation with architectural and operational requirements met. Establish new standards and best practices to monitor, test, automate, and maintain IT components or systems. Serve as an expert resource in disaster recovery and disaster recovery planning. Stay current with Target’s technical capabilities, infrastructure, and technical environment. Develop fully attributed data models, including logical, physical, and canonical. Influence data standards, policies, and procedures. Install, configure, and/or tune data management solutions with minimal guidance. Monitor data management solution(s) and identify optimization opportunities.
About the opportunity:
We are seeking an engineer who is able to jump in and contribute to Target’s data science experimentation and measurement (e.g. A/B Testing) platform. If you’re a software engineer with a passion for software architecture, cutting-edge technologies, massive scale, building performant systems, and solving challenging problems, then this career opportunity is for you!
- Work as a member of a product team which builds features that impact the bottom line for Target
- Continuously work to improve self and team through pair programming and pull request reviews
- Implement design patterns to enhance our highly scalable and performant applications
- Contribute to the design of our full system architecture
- Lead continuous improvement projects within the team and mentor other engineers
- Cultivate an inclusive and rich engineering culture
- Responsible for quality and stability of delivered work
- Lead unit and functional testing efforts to certify the team’s work is good
- Accountable for leading engineering efforts from inception to delivery
- Initiate and facilitate necessary cross-organization communication to complete work
- Provide technical expertise to product teams, advising best practices and highlighting risks
- BS degree in Computer Science, related technical field or equivalent work experience
- 7+ years of software development experience
- Computer Science foundational knowledge including competencies working with design patterns, data structures and algorithms
- Proficiency in Java, Scala or Python (Scala and Java experience preferred)
- Experience in building and scaling high tolerance, low latency data pipelines
- Experience integrating with a message streaming platform (e.g. Kafka)
- Experience working with real time pipeline frameworks (e.g. Flink, Spark, Storm)
- Experience with building batch pipelines within the Hadoop ecosystem (Hive, Oozie and Spark)
- Experience optimizing SQL queries and performance tuning in Hadoop.
- Experience load testing and performance tuning
- Knowledgeable of microservice design patterns
- Exposure to DevOps tools, processes and culture (e.g. Spinnaker, Drone, Jenkins, Git, etc.)
- Experience working with a source versioning tool, such as Git
- Awareness of new and emerging technologies
- Experience working as a member of an Agile software development team
- Strong verbal and written communication skills demonstrating technical leadership
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills
As a member of the Data Sciences Platform Engineering Team at Target you will be a front-line contributor to the future of data sciences in retail.
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.
Target will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
What’s it like to work here? We’re asked that a lot. Target respects and values the individuality of all team members and guests—and we have lots of fun in all that we do.experience our culture