Lead Design Engineer – Design & Automation EngineeringApply Now Job ID: R0000131858 job family: Building Operations Engineering schedule: Full time Location: 100 Mathilda Pl, Sunnyvale, California, United States, 94086;
Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company and one of America’s leading retailers.
Target Global Supply Chain and Logistics is evolving at an incredible pace. We are constantly reimagining how we get the right product to the guest even better, faster and more cost effectively than before. We are becoming more intelligent, automated and algorithmic in our decision-making, so that no matter how guests shop—in stores or on Target.com—we deliver the convenience and immediate gratification they demand and deserve. We are on a mission to win decisively over any competitor, with a seamless and superior guest service experience unlike any they can offer. Our teams work with the agility our mission requires, and we constantly come together to implement new processes in record time. So we’re looking for exceptional people who are proactive, creative, independent, innovative, risk-savvy and comfortable working in varying degrees of ambiguity. Are you a critical thinker who seeks the root cause and can analyze both qualitatively and quantitatively? Are you a creative problem-solver who simplifies problems, quickly identifies solutions, commits to a plan and then positively influences others to execute it? If so, you will have success on one of our dynamic teams.
The Lead Design Engineer working on the Design & Automation Engineering team will design and project manage world-class supply chain automation projects that will result in an enhanced Target Guest experience by increasing the speed and accuracy of processing of goods through the internal supply chain. This position will report to the Sr. Director of Design & Automation Engineering or a team Director. The Design Team owns supply chain projects from concept through production of engineering deliverables for implementation. Design projects range from workstations to system modules and entire buildings and new building sites. The Lead Design Engineer will partner with multiple internal teams and external suppliers and consultants to generate options, formalize designs, support & defend designs for capital approval, and complete firm engineering deliverables to produce required documentation for execution. This position will mentor, coach and supervise work of junior level Engineers and peer team members.
Positions are currently available to fill based out of the Target HQ offices in Minneapolis, MN and the Target Sunnyvale, CA office in the heart of Silicon Valley - the world’s tech innovation capital.
Key Responsibilities – Lead Design Engineer:
- Ensure Safety in design for all GSCL (Global Supply Chain & Logistics) design scope projects
- Lead design on multiple concurrent Greenfield and Brownfield level projects
- Employ material flow design criteria and facility layout design processes
- Analyze business & operations requirements to generate supply chain automation concepts
- Identify the materials to be handled (MTBH) and determine the throughput & storage media requirements
- Model flow of materials to test throughput and identify any process flow bottlenecks
- Specify storage solutions based on cubic space need, product velocity and cycle time goals
- Identify & evaluate supply chain automation & robotics technologies and solution providers
- Create detailed capacity throughput, cycle time, direct and indirect labor cost models
- Generate accurate capital and expense cost estimates associated with alternative designs
- Create supply chain facility layouts based upon process requirements and efficient material flows
- Communicate design issues internally and hold all parties accountable as required
- Develop technical Request for Proposal (RFP), tabulate and qualify proposals, and make technical recommendations on award
- Collaborate effectively across all internal and external stakeholders including vendors, internal engineering team, operations & facility teams
- Design logistics site traffic flows, parking requirements, dock door needs, truck yard flow/congestion, and ensure safety in design. Work with peer teams and consulting Civil Engineers to provide optimal site layouts.
- Bachelor’s degree in Industrial or Mechanical Engineering or approved equivalent
- 7 or more years of combined experience in material handling, automation, manufacturing, supply chain and/or distribution and logistics industries, or 5 or more years combined experience plus an Advanced degree in Engineering.
- Proven project management experience implementing multi-million dollar, complex capital equipment & systems
- Multi-year experience with project management strategies required for complex and dynamic projects with very short lead times
- Exceptional analytical and organizational skills with demonstrated ability to manage several complex projects at the same time with high degrees of variation and uncertainty
- Candidate must be capable to work with little supervision or direction and will be given considerable latitude in decision making
- Natural ability to speak and write effectively at all organizational levels
- Candidate must be able to demonstrate excellent judgment and decision-making skills under conditions of exceptional uncertainty with possibility of significant lack of data or ambiguity in data
- Frequently provides significant leadership or influence as a coordinator of complex cross-functional projects
- Proficiency with standard project planning software applications
- Ability to travel at short notice- up to 15% (varies by project phase)
- Proficiency in AutoCad or other digital drafting software systems
Preferred Qualifications & Experiences:
- Experience with material flow methodologies including sequencing, kitting, repack, etc.
- Experience with facility layouts, & construction
- Experience with distribution and/or logistics process flows & operations
- Experience with Lean, Six Sigma, & other continuous improvement concepts & methodologies
- Project management professional “PMP” training
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.
Target will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances.
What’s it like to work here? We’re asked that a lot. Target respects and values the individuality of all team members and guests—and we have lots of fun in all that we do.experience our culture