Maintenance Technician 1Apply Now Job ID: R0000151542 job family: Distribution Center - Maintenance & Mechanics schedule: Full time Location: 1100 SW 57th St, Topeka, Kansas, United States, 66609-1261;
Wages start at $26.00/hour* and up for Maintenance Technicians based on experience.
*Includes a generous shift differential pay or key premium pay.
Wage increases approximately every 6 months for 36 months.
Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company and one of America’s leading retailers.
Target Global Supply Chain and Logistics is evolving at an incredible pace. We are constantly reimagining how we get the right product to the guest better, faster and more cost effectively than ever before. We are becoming more intelligent, automated and algorithmic in our decision-making, so that no matter how our Guest chooses to shop—in stores or on Target.com—we deliver the convenience and immediate gratification they demand and deserve. We are on a mission to win decisively over any competitor, with a seamless and superior guest service experience unlike any they can offer. Our teams work with the agility our mission requires, and we constantly come together to implement new processes in record time. A role in Global Supply Chain centers puts you on the front lines of getting product to the guest as fast as possible - a critical differentiator and one of the most essential functions within Logistics. You will have a chance to positively impact thousands of fellow team members and Target guests worldwide.
About the job:
As an Engineering & Facilities Maintenance Technician 1 (MT1), you will maintain and repair automated material handling and facility equipment, and ensure high equipment availability rates. You will use preventive and predictive maintenance processes, and rapidly troubleshoot equipment breakdowns and quickly restore equipment to service to support the successful operation of the supply chain facility. You will work with other Target mechanics to solve problems, validate quality of work for outside specialty contractors, and meet aggressive time lines. You will collaborate with Senior Systems Engineers to perform Root Cause Analysis for equipment failures. This is an entry-level position in the mechanic role with promotion potential to Maintenance Technician 2, by completing and demonstrating proficiency in all related Maintenance Technician 2 job requirements, measured by both hands-on validation and by a written assessment. A successful candidate in this role will:
- Maintain and perform basic troubleshooting of electrical and mechanical aspects of Material Handling Equipment (MHE) on site, including conveyor systems, sortation, scales and printer applicators
- Demonstrate mechanical proficiency for hydraulic and pneumatic systems, and AC/DC electrical motors and drives
- Adjust, reset, repair, or replace adjustable components (belts, chains, cables) and wearing components (guides, bearings, wheels, rollers, pulleys)
- Maintain and troubleshoot motors, photo eyes, relays, proximity sensors, solenoids, motor starters, tachometers, encoders, etc.
- Clean, lubricate, and calibrate equipment
- Use appropriate job plans, procedures, and manuals
- Perform preventative maintenance on facility equipment (i.e. Powered Industrial Trucks, HVAC, air compressors and dryers, and balers)
- Perform basic electrical maintenance and simple repair/replace of various electrical circuits and related electronic equipment, using tools such as multi-meters and infrared thermometers
- Read and understand basic electrical and electronic schematics
- Utilize handheld devices and asset management system mobile apps to create and close Work Orders with appropriate data (labor hours, downtime, problem/cause/remedy, and parts used)
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships across all levels of the organization
- Follow appropriate safety procedures and use Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) while maintaining equipment (Lock Out/Tag Out, Arc Flash, etc.), and ensure a safe work environment by eliminating potential equipment safety hazards
Physical Demands (must be able to perform with or without reasonable accommodation):
- Regular bending, lifting, stretching and reaching both below the waist and above the head
- Lift and move totes or cartons up to 49 pounds each
- Walking within and around the site with great frequency
- Ability to climb ladders and gangways safely and without limitation, and work off platforms and equipment at significant heights
- Full manual dexterity in both hands and wrists, eye/hand coordination, feet (foot pedals), manual (picking, pinching, holding, grasping), and wrist motion (repetitive flexion/rotation)
- Working conditions may include small spaces, dust, fumes/odors, hot/cold temperatures, inside/outside noise, vibration, standing on concrete for long hours and wet or uneven surfaces
- Ability to stand/walk for up to 10-12 hours
- Basic PC competency and ability to use mobile apps on handheld devices
- Familiar with simple wiring diagrams, symbols and electrical measuring
- Experience in the following areas:
- Work order management
- Preventive/predictive maintenance procedures
- Commonly used industrial tools
- Basic Carpentry and Plumbing
- Basic blueprint and schematic reading
- Basic AC/DC electrical and electronic principles
- Basic metal fabrication and welding
- Basic Industrial Controls
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- Degree from a vocational school or college with a focus in the Mechanical or Electrical field
- 2+ years apprenticeship or equivalent experience in the Mechanical or Electrical field
- Experience with automated conveyor systems and controls
- Experience with Material Handling Equipment (MHE) safety standards
- Experience with Programmable Logic Control (PLC) programs and Human Machine Interfaces (HMIs)
- Ability to troubleshoot basic Input/Output functions
- Experience with robotic operation/ maintenance
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.
What’s it like to work here? We’re asked that a lot. Target respects and values the individuality of all team members and guests—and we have lots of fun in all that we do.experience our culture