Field Quality Manager - Yakima / Wenatchee, WA
JOB TITLE: FIELD QUALITY MANAGER
Date: September 2018
Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company and one of America’s leading retailers.
To match the signature style and passion of Target’s distinctive and beloved retail brand, Target Legal Affairs is a dynamic and deeply knowledgeable team of legal pros, each with valuable expertise from several disciplines. Whether specializing in government affairs, policy, risk management, regulatory compliance, ethics or employee and labor relations, this team advocates for Target and its business plans in communities across the nation and works across the entire company to provide internal clients with cohesive guidance. We are committed to being internal experts to both internal and external entities on key issues that affect Target’s ability to productively do business. We focus on defining, investigating, anticipating and ultimately mitigating risk in all its forms. We apply our grasp of brand law by overseeing, maintaining and ensuring correct, consistent and authorized use of Target’s signature Bullseye logo, assets and other trademarked material. We help protect Target and its subsidiaries by applying our comprehensive understanding and interpretation of the laws that govern our stores, distribution centers and corporate locations. Here, you’ll enjoy working autonomously with a healthy work-life balance. Your passion for learning the business and building relationships with the senior leaders and key business partners that you support will be key to tackling the ever-changing legal challenges we face in a dynamic and fast-paced retail landscape. From brand and patent law to contract development and negotiations, you’ll be challenged and gratified by a role with Target Legal Affairs.
A role in Food Safety means working in a critical area that will support Target’s efforts to identify, prioritize and minimize areas of food safety risk as well as proactively educate and equip team members by providing simplified tools, processes and training. You will have a number of resources available to you as you leverage technology, metrics, reporting and communication to monitor and drive compliance in this critical area.
Daily Field Inspections: Primary focus will be field inspections across a variety of growing regions, consolidation facilities, and working with several different vendors. The role will inspect produce and floral commodities to forecast issues, lead through quality concerns, and help mediate terms during challenging growing conditions. Team member will communicate quality conditions to multiple business units using various formats.
Scorecard Reporting: During the field inspections, team member will score produce and vendor to track performance. Will work closely with Sr. Data Analyst to enter in quality alerts and messages that will assist the FDC inspectors.
Vendor and Merchandising Relations: Role will establish relations with vendors and suppliers: Will lead and coach vendors on packing to Target specifications and meeting food safety requirements. Effectively communicate between the procurement team and vendors.
- Inspect produce and floral commodities for compliance with Target specifications
- Provide direction to buyers to replace any rejected product
- Search out new and innovative products and packaging
- Represent Target in vendor meetings to discuss quality and current/future growing forecasts
- Coach and train vendors to improve quality, create and track action plans in collaboration with buyers
- Review vendor scorecards to drive improvements
- Evaluate vendor facilities for compliance with Target’s food safety requirements
- Recommend specification changes based on current crop conditions
- Strong negotiating skills to work with cross-functional teams
Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.
- Availability to travel up to 50% of the time to various growing regions and distribution support
- Able to work flexible hours with weekend coverage when needed
- Ability to communicate in a complete, concise, accurate, timely and professional manner both verbally and written
- Comprehensive knowledge of USDA requirements
- General understanding of Food Safety Requirements
- Strong relationship building and management skills with vendors, suppliers, and HQ partners
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite applications.
- HACCP Certified
- Valid driver’s license and personal vehicle- mileage reimbursement program
- Able to lift 50lbs
- Able to determine colors
- Five or more years of experience as USDA inspector, private produce inspection company, produce shipper or retail produce experience. Experience can be substituted for education.
- Advanced degree in Agriculture related field (preferred)
Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
Target will provide reasonable accommodations (such as a qualified sign language interpreter or other personal assistance) with the application process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you have a disability and require assistance in this application process, please visit your nearest Target store or Distribution Center or reach out to Guest Services at 1-800-440-0680 for additional information.
What’s it like to work here? We’re asked that a lot. Target respects and values the individuality of all team members and guests—and we have lots of fun in all that we do.experience our culture