Tech Consultant Job Description
Discover why Target Team Members love working in our stores.
ALL ABOUT TARGET
As a Fortune 50 company with more than 350,000 team members worldwide, Target is an iconic brand and one of America's leading retailers.
Working at Target means the opportunity to help all families discover the joy of everyday life. Caring for our communities is woven into who we are, and we invest in the places we collectively live, work and play. We prioritize relationships, fuel and develop talent by creating growth opportunities, and succeed as one Target team. At our core, our purpose is ingrained in who we are, what we value, and how we work. It's how we care, grow, and win together. Your expertise and tech-savvy advice will help guests discover new, innovative products and make shopping for electronics fun and informative.
ALL ABOUT SPECIALTY SALES
When we activate a sales force of passionate and specialized Tech Consultants, guests feel welcomed and inspired and make Target the go-to Electronics destination. Our Tech Consultants have product knowledge, personalized suggestions and solutions through meaningful interactions and product demos making the Electronics experience easy and rewarding for guests. It is their priority to put the guest first
At Target, we believe in our team members having meaningful experiences that help them build and develop skills for a career. The role of a Tech Consultant can provide you with the:
Ability to adapt communication style to build trusting relationships with guests and influence tech solutions
Ability to provide personalized tech solutions through guest engagement, product training, and demo events
Experience in retail business fundamentals including: department sales trends, inventory management, guest shopping patterns, pricing and promotion strategies
Knowledge of tech products including: video game trends, connected home lifestyle, tech accessories, TV technology and networking
As a Tech Consultant, no two days are ever the same, but a typical day will most likely include the following responsibilities:
- Create a welcoming experience by authentically greeting all guests.
- Observe to quickly understand whether a guest needs assistance or wants to interact. Follow body language and verbal clues to tailor your approach.
- Engage with guests in a genuine way, which includes asking questions to better understand their specific needs.
- Be knowledgeable about the tools, products, and services available in the total store, and specific to your area, to solve issues for the guest and improve their experience.
- Gain knowledge from store tools to have a clear understanding of key metrics, store sales goals, top and bottom departments, inventory levels, top shortage categories, guest traffic and peak times
- Stay current on top sellers and current technology trends to help guests find the right technology solutions and accessories to complete their purchase
- Drive the total Electronics business (TV and Home Electronics, Imaging and Office, Portable Electronics, Mobile/Accessories, Video Games)
- Create an inviting shopping environment by ensuring product is in stock, signed correctly and available for guests to shop
- Encourage guests to explore Electronics with confidence by making sure the area is clean and ensuring displays are functioning correctly
- Support changes to product assortment and keep Electronics inspiring to guests all year round by remerchandising new product and maintaining a brand space following new sets
- Leverage product packaging to share features and benefits with the guest
- Offer expert advice, personalized tech solutions or validation on products they’ve already researched
- Be an advocate for owned brands and knowledgeable about their benefits (extended returns, price point, guarantees, etc.)
- Use demos and live displays to introduce guests to tech they have not tried before
- Help the guest get the most out of their new tech purchase by sharing options to protect their device with a case, carrier or protection plan
- Thank the guest in a genuine way and let them know we’re happy they chose to shop at Target and remind them that you are here to help in the future
- Leverage Tech routines to prioritize guest interaction and engagement while balancing tasks
- Always demonstrate a culture of ethical conduct, safety and compliance
- Support guest services such as back-up cashier, order pick up (OPU) and Drive-up (DU) and maintain a compliance culture while executing those duties, such as compliance with federal, state, and local adult beverage laws.
- All other duties based on business needs
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We might be a great match if:
Working in a fun and energetic environment makes you excited…. We work efficiently and as a team to deliver for our guests
Providing service to our guests that makes them say I LOVE TARGET! excites you…. That’s why we love working at Target
Stocking, Setting and Selling Target products sounds like your thing… That’s the core of what we do
You aren’t looking for Monday thru Friday job where you are at a computer all day… We are busy all day (especially on the weekends), making it easy for the guest to feel welcomed, inspired and rewarded
The good news is that we have some amazing training that will help teach you everything you need to know to be a Tech Consultant. But, there are a few skills you should have from the get-go:
12+ months previous electronics retail experience preferred, but not required
Strong interest in electronics products, particularly hand-held devices, connected technology, TVs and video games
Welcoming and helpful attitude toward guests and other team members
Learn and adapt to current technology needs
Effective communication skills
Work both independently and with a team
Resolve guest questions quickly on the spot
We are an awesome place to work and care about our teams, so we want to make sure we are clear on a few more basics that we expect:
Accurately handle cash register operations
Climb up and down ladders
Scan, handle and move merchandise efficiently and safely, including frequently lifting or moving merchandise up to 15 pounds and occasionally lifting or moving merchandise up to 40 pounds
Flexible work schedule (e.g., nights, weekends and holidays) and regular attendance necessary