Recorded Video Interviews
What will the recorded video experience be like?
You will receive an email from “Target Careers” within 3 hours of your invitation. This will include a link to practice and start your interview when you are ready. For the interview, you can use any smartphone, tablet, or computer with a camera and microphone.
Before the interview begins you will have the opportunity to test your camera and microphone. Next, you can answer a few practice questions, watch your responses, and adjust if needed. Once you're ready to begin, you'll be asked a series of questions in which you'll record your response after each individual question. Plan for about 30 minutes in total. Once complete, a Target recruiter or hiring manager will watch your video and get back to you with potential next steps. On average it takes 5 business days from the time your video is received.
Target's Top Tips
Before the interview
- Spend some time thinking about how your skills align with the job requirements. What previous experience, work, school, or otherwise do you have that you can share?
- Find a well-lit, comfortable space, free from distractions.
- Test your technology. Make sure your device is charged, your internet connection is strong, and your camera and microphone are working.
- Click on the link in your invite to practice. Complete a practice question. Answer questions until you feel comfortable with the interview process, and to make sure you are happy with the audio and video quality of your recording.
- If you need a break, take one! Come back, and begin the interview when you are ready. You are able to pick up where you left off with the same link you used previously.
During the interview
- Watch the introduction video and the questions entirely. You cannot replay them.
- If you are not satisfied with your answer, you can rerecord it. You will have a total of 3 attempts per question. Target will only see the final recording.
- You have a maximum of 5 minutes to answer each question. If you finish your response to a question and there is still time on the clock, that’s ok. You can stop recording when you are done with your answer. Don’t feel pressured to record longer.
- Be authentic. Relax, have fun, and let your skills and personality shine.
After the interview
- Target will contact you once your interview has been reviewed. On average it takes 5 business days but can be much quicker. Please check your email for updates.
- If it has been longer than a week and you want to follow up on the status of your interview, please contact your Target recruiter or reach out to the Target location that you are applying to and ask to speak with Human Resources.
The Recorded Video Interview will have a video, audio, and timing component. Target will provide reasonable accommodations with the recorded interview process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you need an accommodation please reach out to the Target location you applied to for assistance. Ask to speak with human resources regarding assistance with the interview process. All other candidates should work with your recruiter or contact Guest Relations at 1.800.440.0680.
I have not received my invitation
- Make sure more than 3 hours have passed since you received the email notifying you that you are selected to move forward in the process.
- Search for ‘Target Careers’ and ‘Hirevue’ in your spam, junk, and promotional folders.
- The subject of your email invitation will be “Congrats! You’ve been selected to interview with Target” The email will come from firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have tried all of the above and still cannot find your invitation, contact your Target recruiter or reach out to the Target location that you are applying to and ask to speak with Human Resources.
Does clicking my link automatically start my interview?
If you have not started your interview, clicking the link will not automatically begin your interview. You will first go through prompts to set up your camera and microphone. Then you will be given the opportunity to practice.
How many times can I practice?
There is no limit. You can even take a break after practicing, come back, and begin the interview when you are ready. You are able to pick up where you left off with the same link you used to begin the interview previously.
Will I be able to see and review my video responses?
You will only be able to watch your practice responses. We recommend watching your responses to make sure the lighting and sound quality are good before you start your interview. During your interview, you will not be able to watch your responses. However, if you are not confident with your answer you can rerecord. You will have 3 attempts for each question. Target will only see the final recording.
Can anyone see my practice questions?
No. Practice questions are never uploaded or submitted to anyone, nor can they ever be viewed by anyone except yourself.
Can I retake my recorded video interview?
Target does not issue retakes on recorded video interviews. You will be given multiple (3) attempts per question, so don't worry if you make a mistake. We want who you really are to come through on video.
I submitted my video interview but had technical difficulty during one or more of the questions.
If you have submitted your recorded video interview, please contact your Target recruiter or reach out to the Target location that you are applying to and ask to speak with Human Resources.
I have questions about hiring timeline, pay, or other job specific questions.
Please contact your Target recruiter or reach out to the Target location that you are applying to and ask to speak with Human Resources.
I had to stop in the middle of my interview and did not complete it. What do I do?
If you lost connection, or had to stop in the middle of your interview, use the same link you used to begin the interview previously to log back in. As long as your interview timeframe has not expired, you are able to pick up where you left off and finish the interview.
What devices can I use to complete my recorded video interview?
You can use any smartphone, tablet, or computer with a camera and microphone.
Google chrome is the recommended browser for computers.
I need technical support
For 24/7 technical support, please visit the HireVue Help Center. Search the site for helpful articles and frequently asked questions. To speak to a live agent, use the chat icon in the lower right-hand corner.
How will my video be reviewed?
This experience is designed to give you the opportunity to shine beyond your application. The hiring manager or recruiter will review and evaluate your video.
When will I hear back about my recorded video interview?
On average, it takes five business days, sometimes much sooner. If it has been longer than 10 days, please contact your Target recruiter or reach out to the Target location that you are applying to and ask to speak with Human Resources.