Recorded Video Interviews
Congratulations, you've been invited to complete a recorded video interview at Target! The recruitment process can be daunting and confusing, so we’ve provided a video and some tips below for more information about Target’s process to help you prepare.
What will the recorded video experience be like?
When the Target Hiring Team reviews your application and moves you forward in the process, you will receive an email from “Target Careers” typically within 3 hours of being moved forward. This email will include a link to practice and to start your interview when you are ready. For this recorded video interview experience, you can use any smartphone, tablet or computer with a camera and microphone. You will have the opportunity to test your camera and microphone.
The practice interview consists of a practice question where you are able to watch your response and make any adjustments needed.
Once you are ready to begin the real interview, you will then be asked a series of questions in which you will record your response after each individual question. Plan for the total interview to take about 30 minutes. Once completed, a Target recruiter or hiring manager will watch your video responses and get back to you with potential next steps – typically within 5 business days from the time your video is received.
Target's Top Tips
Before the interview
- Spend some time thinking about how your skills align with the job requirements. What previous experience, work, school or otherwise (e.g. clubs, volunteerism, etc.) do you have that you can share?
- Find a well-lit, comfortable space, free from distractions.
- Test your technology. Make sure your device is charged, your internet connection is strong and your camera and microphone are working. If you are having technical issues with the HireVue platform, specifically, visit the HireVue Candidate Help Center.
- Complete a practice interview (the link can be found in your email invite) to get comfortable with the interview process, format and technology.
- If you need a break, take one! Come back and begin the interview when you are ready. You are able to pick up where you left off with the same link you used previously.
During the interview
- Watch the introduction video and the questions entirely, as you will not be able to replay them.
- After the interview question has been asked, you will be given some time to prepare and think about how you want to respond. There will be a 3 second countdown before HireVue actually begins recording you on video.
- Pay attention to how much time is allotted for your video response. If you finish your response to a question and there is still time on the clock, that’s okay! You can stop recording when you are done with your response. Don’t feel pressured to record longer.
- If you are not satisfied with your answer, you will have the ability to rerecord your video response. You will be given 2 retries per question. Target will only see the final recording that you submit.
- Be authentic. Relax, have fun and let your skills and personality shine.
After the interview
- Target will contact you once your interview has been reviewed. On average, it takes 5 business days but can be quicker. Please check your email for updates.
- If it has been longer than 10 days and you want to follow up on the status of your interview, please contact your Target recruiter or reach out to the Target location that you are applying to and ask to speak with Human Resources.
The recorded video interview will have a video, audio and timing component. Target will provide reasonable accommodations with the recorded interview process upon your request as required to comply with applicable laws. If you need an accommodation please reach out to the Target location you applied to for assistance. Ask to speak with Human Resources regarding assistance with the interview process. All other candidates should work with their recruiter or contact Guest Relations at 1.800.440.0680.
I need technical support.
For 24/7 technical support, please visit the HireVue Candidate Help Center. Search the site for helpful articles and frequently asked questions. To speak to a live agent, use the chat icon in the lower right-hand corner.
I had to stop in the middle of my interview and did not complete it. What do I do?
If you lost connection or had to stop in the middle of your interview, use the same link you used to begin the interview previously to log back in. As long as your interview timeframe has not expired, you are able to pick up where you left off and finish the interview.
I submitted my video interview but had technical difficulty during one or more of the questions.
If you have submitted your recorded video interview, please contact your Target recruiter or reach out to the Target location that you are applying to and ask to speak with Human Resources.
Target does not issue retakes on recorded video interviews.
When will I hear back about my recorded video interview?
On average, we will get back to you within 5 business days. If it has been longer than 10 days, please contact your Target recruiter or reach out to the Target location that you are applying to and ask to speak with Human Resources.
I have not received my invitation.
- Make sure more than 3 hours have passed since you received the email notifying you that you are selected to move forward in the process to recorded interview.
- Make sure you are checking the right email address that you applied with (and that it was spelled/typed correctly).
- Within your email, search for ‘Target Careers’ and ‘HireVue’. Be sure to search your spam, junk and promotional folders as well.
- The subject of your email invitation will be “Congrats! You’ve been selected to interview with Target” The email will come from email@example.com.
If you have tried all the above and still cannot find your invitation, contact your Target recruiter or reach out to the Target location that you are applying to and ask to speak with Human Resources.
Does clicking my link automatically start my interview?
If you have not started your interview, clicking the link will not automatically begin your interview. You will first go through prompts to set up your camera and microphone. Then, you will be given the opportunity to practice. You will need to click the begin interview button to start the official interview.
Can anyone see my practice questions?
No. Practice questions are never uploaded or submitted to anyone, nor can they ever be viewed by anyone except yourself.
How many times can I practice?
There is no limit for practicing. You can even take a break after practicing, come back, and begin the interview when you are ready. You are able to pick up where you left off with the same link you used to begin the interview previously.
Will I be able to see and review my video responses?
You will only be able to watch your practice responses. We recommend watching your practice responses to make sure the lighting and sound quality are good before you start your interview. During your actual interview, you will not be able to watch your responses. If the position you are interviewing for allows for retries, Target will only see the final recording that you submit.
What devices can I use to complete my recorded video interview?
You can use any smartphone, tablet or computer with a camera and microphone.
Google chrome is the recommended browser for computers.
How will my video be reviewed?
The hiring manager or recruiter will review and evaluate your video responses to each question asked. They will also take your resume and application into consideration when making a decision.
I have questions about hiring timeline, pay, or other job specific questions.
Please contact your Target recruiter or reach out to the Target location that you are applying to and ask to speak with Human Resources.